New
Find
Notify
Tools

is it worth the extra money
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm going to be getting a savage target rifle for long range target shooting I want a 308 my question is is the model 12 f/tr more accurate then the heavy barreled model 10s or the model 12 varmint series

God loves you

Posts: 107 | Location: sumner, wa | Registered: 18 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I don't know if there is much difference in actions but If you want an accurate long range gun avoid the tupperware stock. Go with eithr the laminate or higher end tactical stocks they carry. The newer accu-stock might be better than the older all synthetic stock was. If you grabbed the old stock at the butt and the fore end you could twist it.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My model 12 F/TR in 6.5x284 is a half moa rifle at 300 yds. Don't know about the other rifles you mentioned.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on how serious you want to get. if you are going to compete in F class at the longer ranges then go for the F rifle. However it is a lot more expensive, last time I looked. If you just want one for fun, long range plinking and the "cool factor" then get one of the others. What is the longest range that you have regular access to? At 600 plus yards practice is more important than the rifle IMHO.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a BV12SS in 308 a couple years ago.
That is the single shot, laminated stock, stainless with 26" fluted barrel version. It shot the Black Hills Match 168gr ammunition just under half and inch at 100yds, and just under an inch at 200. That was using an old B&L 36X scope.
I have its' baby brother in 223, and it shoots as well. The Accu-Trigger is a wonderful thing.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a lot of variation in what constitutes a "Tupperware stock." The stock on the Rem. 700 PSS is synthetic, but it's not "rubber" and doesn't flex.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I don't consider all synthetic stocks "tupperware". I've used some good synthetic stocks, the pre-accustock synthetic is not one of them. I recently got a long action Palma stock but I haven't set it up yet.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Order it from Jim Briggs! Target actions any conture bbl.. HS stocks! Just built my .260 from him.. Tack DRIVER!!!!

Posts: 155 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote