THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BENCHREST AND TARGET SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Benchrest & Target Shooting    Crimp 22 hornet bullets with Lee bullet press

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crimp 22 hornet bullets with Lee bullet press
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Some time back there was a discusion on one of the forum about a Lee bullet press crimp on the case ,bullet .
My point is I am not using a crimp and having very good results ---coments please.
Bill r

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some claim that a crimp results in "a more uniform start pressure" which results in better accuracy. I have two Hornets, a standard and a K, don't crimp either one and I'm getting very good accuracy with both rounds. Maybe one day I'll crimp some rounds and compare the results.

Crimp some rounds and lets us know how they work out. All they'll do is get better or worse, or stay the same.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine can't get much better , but like you I might try it some day . I have a CZ just does not need much help. Thanks for the reply.
Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not crimp for my Hornet either, and it shoots great. Perhaps the small pistol primers I use negate the need for crimping??

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dm45winmag
posted Hide Post
I use a Lee Factory Crimp die for my Hornets. my accuracy wasn't all that great until I started using it. I can definitely tell a difference with before and after crimped cases just by feeling the case near the bullet with my fingers.

I'm using AA2015, and Rem 7-1/2BR primers, with 40gr V-Max bullets.

I shot a 0.188 3 shot group at 25 yds recently with the above combination out of a T/C Contender with a 14" barrel and Simmons 4X scope. This may not sound like much to some of you, but it was a surprise for me.

T/C Contender Shooter

Posts: 38 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned:
Savage 219-B
H&R Topper
Ruger #3
Ruger 77/22-Hornet
I have never crimped any of those little 45 grain bullets. They all shot/shoot a dime size group at 100 yards.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote