Find
Notify
Tools

Cheaper 22 Target Rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
I'm going to get into 22 shooting matches in 4-H this summer, and I need a good target rifle. (Or am wishing for one...) The different types of match are silhoutte, 3 positions, and something else...I hope benchrest. What are some cheaper target rifles that are still extremely accurate without spending $3000 on a gun?

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Tyler;
I have shot many a bench rest and silhoutte matches over the years and have some opinions. Any of the Remington 500 series rifles shoot as good as most shooters. 541T is my preference. Also if you can find one a Savage-Anschultz is an excellent choice. For ultra cheap a friend of mine bought a Savage squirrel rifle at K-Mart that shoots 1/2 inch groups at 50yards!
As with any rifle try all the .22 loads you can find. Most rifles are very picky.If you are lucky you will find one that likes cheap ammo. I have a Remington 540X that loves CCI standard velocity. This allows me to tune the biggest factor, the nut behind the trigger. Best wishes Goldy

Posts: 17 | Location: south central ohio | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I have an old rusty marlin that shoots lights out, but I don't wanna get laughed out of a match. In these types of events what types of sights are allowed?

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Vostok .22 target for sale that has set records on the bench and has served me very well in the position style of shooting also. PM me if interested. Very nice rifle.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyler,
I coach a 4-H smallbore team. The league we shoot in shoots 4 position and follows NRA rules. If the group you are shooting in follows NRA smallbore rules you will need to use iron sights as a junior. The silhoutte and benchrest might be different. You should be able to find a rifle to start for under $500. I found a 540XR last year for $350 in excellent condition. There are a number other models to watch for like Winchester 75. Mossberg made some good starter target rifles Remington 513. Someone already mentioned the Savage/Anschutz All these are available for under $500.

One option is the CMP has some .22 target rifles for sale http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/caliber22.htm
Watch a couple of these sights for used target rifles.
http://www.nealjguns.com/ss_store/UsedTgtRifle.html

http://www.championshooters.com/index-ssl.html
I've found if you get to shooting with a group of guys sometimes there are deals from other shooters.

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any of the Martini Internationals will be relatively cheap and will out shoot any modern production rifle. Excellent trigger to boot.

But you will find them only as used rifles.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
In 4-H I'm classified as a senior, do I still have to use iron sights?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at Thad Scott Guns for used target rifles. He has BSA Martinis, Anschutzs etc. All used but should be extremely accurate guns.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
In 4-H I'm classified as a senior, do I still have to use iron sights?

By NRA rules in 3P or 4P and Highpower you are a Junior till you turn 20. I believe the NRA would allow a Junior to shoot a scope if they were shooting in a Senior class. We follow NRA rules so all our kids are shooting irons. The irons we are using are the good Anschutz or Redfield apertures. Some of our kids shoot service rifle also and you have to use irons for that also, even adults.

If the club you are in is involved with competions other then NRA then there could be other rules. Also I don't know NRA Silhoutte or benchrest rules.

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe CMP still has some of the kimbers for sale

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Brent's suggestion of the Martini International is an excallent one. Other rifles to look at are the Finnish Valmet (Finnish Lion) target rifles. They are machined for their own unique sight, but if the sight is missing, an adaptor block can be put on top of the receiver. The one that I used to shoot was as accurate as most Anschutzs. They should set you back between $500 and $700 with sights, or about $100 less without.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3813 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe it would be a mistake to purchase a rimfire rifle before contacting Mac Tilton at MT Guns.

His selection of used target rifles is excellent--he carries all, or most all, of those mentioned--and his knowledge of target shooting is impressive.

He shares gladly his experience, and can guide you, based on your goals and budget, to the appropriate rifle.

flaco

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
How good is a Sako Finnfire Varmint? Saw one at a Pawn shop where a cousin works, he said he could get it to me $600, it appeared new and was marked at $775. I really liked it, but no sights...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyler-

The Sako is, by all accounts, a very nice rifle.

But if you're planning to shoot organized competitive events, what you really need is advice as to whether it's compatible with the events you'd like to shoot.

flaco

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I'm going to try silhouette, so it will work, now for a scope...that is after I get the funds to buy it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage MKII .22 target rifle with Williams aperture rear sights and a globe front sight. This rifle will shoot 5/8th inch 5 round groups at 100 yards. This rifle cost about $250.00 new.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Nevermind, got to borrow a Suhl. Nicest gun I've ever shot, one hole groups every time I aim well. I made nationals for 4-H shooting, so they let me borrow the gun. Can't wait for the trip to South Dakota!

One of Us
Picture of brad541thb
posted Hide Post
Tyler,

I'm glad you bought a Suhl. I wished a lot of people could buy one to see what true accuracy is in a 22lr. Here's mine with the original barrel.

Here's a few groups with the original barrel.

I had Gene Davis put a Benchmark barrel on it last year. I also bought a James Pappas one piece rest. Here's a picture of both.

It seems to shoot even better than the original barrel.

Posts: 60 | Location: MO | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brad541thb
posted Hide Post
The bottom row of targets in the last picture above is all 10 shot groups.

One of Us
Picture of brad541thb
posted Hide Post
There is a white thumbtack on a black piece a paper in the picture above as well so you can get a better idea of how small those groups really are.

I'll try to find some of the other 10 shot groups that are smaller yet with the Benchmark barrel.

One of Us
Picture of brad541thb
posted Hide Post