New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fluke or something else?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was at the range today and fired a group at 100 yards...tight bullseye, as you would think. Then I took it to 200 yards...tight group, four inches high!!! Any input on why my 200 yard group was four inches high would be appreciated.

Posts: 40 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cartridge? Bullet? Velocity? Height of scope above the bore? Is POI at 100 yards same as POA? If not, where is it?

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.biggameinfo.com/BalCalc.aspx

Your bullet is still rising, use this ballistic calculator & see what figures you get. r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bushwackr
posted Hide Post
I had the same thing happen this hunting season it was the stangest thing. I went to the range before it opened my rifle was shooting 2" high at 200yds all day load was nosler 180bt h4831sc powder and 215gm primers 300 win mag . I must have put 50 rounds down range nice groups. I harvested a doe on sat morning shot right where it was aimed. Then on sunday we were goin to rugby west of the state about 3 hrs away. We went out there sunday. That next day right away I missed one at about 300yds WAY over top figured I just missed. I quick set up a box in the field at 200 yds used the rangfinder to make sure it was there. When I shot my jaw about dropped it was shooting at lease 5 inches over the box. I scratched my head. well I tried to think what was diffrent from at home to where we were now. I quit for the day , tore apart the rifle nothing was out of the ordinary. I went out to resight the gun before we went the next morning, put a target on the stand and cracked one off and I about lost it. The rifle was shooting exactly where it was before 2 high at 200. It was the same gun, same ammo, same everything and it worked perfect the rest of the time. I still have no idea what happened. It is the same gun I am currently targeting with.

"If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
- Ted Nugent -

Posts: 55 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 18 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bushwackr,

Your rifle felt it needed a day off, so it shot like crap just to make sure you got the point...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote