New
Find
Notify
Tools

Practical limitations 300RUM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will soon be the proud owner of a 300RUM. I like heavy for caliber with the "magnums" If I stick to 200gr+ what is the practical limiting distance? The only game I might shoot at at extreme distance would be pigs or feral goats. Otherwise I'd like to become proficient at metal targets and paper. Also the rifle currently wears a 26"barrel. Would I be gaining anything to rebarrel with 28-30"?

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy, I would check the twist first. For paper punching, Sierra has MK's in 190, 200 and 220 as I recollect.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Believe Sierra offers a 240gr MK bullet and they suggest a 9 twist for the 300WinMag.
You have an even higher performance cartridge and should work well. Realize the 9 twist is a bit out of "standard" but the BC will be quite high on this combo. The 300WinMag is an outstanding 1000yd caliber with the right bullets/loads and yours should be somewhat better would think. Recoil and related costs are detrement, but if you can "absorb" those items, would make an excellent long range gun.
If I were building one from the ground up, would go with 30" barrel. JMO

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My RUM has 1-10".

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check with Sierra, but don't believe one twist difference would be a deal breaker, but only a guess on my part. Sierra would know for sure.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW my 300RUM will be wearing a
NightForce 5.5-22x56 NXS 2X Zero stop NPR1

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drew, only one way to know...try them. You rifle will tell you what it likes.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy,

you got too much money...

The 240MK will shoot fine from your twist at the velocity range you can reach.

Rich

beer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

If I didn't have too much money before I will now. After completing an apprenticeship and graduating with a 3.7 GPA I have been offered and accepted a fulltime position. I have been waiting for this slot since 16Dec2010.

I also shoot big bores. It is getting to be the time to decide which to sink the most money into. Big boppers only have to be effective(IMHO) to 200. Stoppers from 50 and inward.
375 H&H scoped and shooting great!
10.75x68 project
600Overkill paid for and having fun!

I have posted a bunch of question up in Long Range forum. Answers are pouring in and I am still trying to digest them.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's that smell?

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Mine likes 180 Scirrocco and 210 Berger HVLD's--both go sub MOA.

However, it has reasonably grouped 165 Noslers, 190 SMK's and a few others.

In fact it has digested most loads into sub 1.5 MOA groups.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DocEd:
What's that smell?

Doc, If you're thinking Bovine excrement, think again. I have managed quite well working 32hrs a week for the past 2.5 years. Now it is time to get really serious. The big boys will always have a place in the safe. Ain't a critter on this planet I can't squarsh, placement done correctly. Now I want to develop my skills and be able to take reasonable and practiced shots at animals and targets at extended ranges beyond what most others would shy away from.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's still hard to fool them flies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure what part you are having trouble with Doc. If you ask around you will find plenty of knowledgeable folks on this site that know me and have hunted with me and what I do with my weapons.

So stop being kitty and just write what is on your mind.

UNLESS YOU ARE AS I SUSPECT....A KEYBOARD COWBOY!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I quit. You win. Keyboard cowboy out!