New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Benchrest" -- My Rig
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Rem. 700 P (Police) -- 308 Win. Basically the same gun as the M24 for US Marine Corps. Marine gun has an adj. butt plate for pull length.

My gun fits me.

Leupold Mark 4, 50mm 6-20x Mil Dot. Mark 4 rings. Leupold hood, lens caps

Jewell trigger, set at about 6 oz.

Shooting Lapua brass . . . Win Mag primers because that's what I can get right now (damn it).

165 gr. BT -- Speer for now.

40.0 gr. H4895

50 rds down range for now. We're shooting 5 rds and bronze brush, patches while the barrel cools down.

Caldwell Rock rest. Bags are pretty much bags if they work, eh? I have some rawhide stuff from Hoppes.

I need to get out beyond 100 yds with it. We're working on that, east of the Oregon Cascades, out in the desert.

Not "bench rest" in any formal sense. It's a "sniper rifle" -- 300 / 600 yds. We might shoot ravens and "grass rats."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The M24 also has a far superior SS match grade barrel. More than likely made by Schneider.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a Caldwell you need to get rid of their shitty bagtop.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
If you have a Caldwell you need to get rid of their shitty bagtop.
Butch

It's the bag that sux, and is easily replaced.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DocEd:
The M24 also has a far superior SS match grade barrel. More than likely made by Schneider.

What's your source for this data? I'm skeptical.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having been a customer and aquaintance of Mr. Schneiders, for many years, I got my info from "the horse's mouth". He also supplies all of the 30 Cal. barrels for the US Secret Service.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wm, I think you mean the M24 used by the US Army, or the M40A3 used by the USMC. Both excellent weapons based on the Rem 700.

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/m24sws.htm

I have a Rem 700 VS that is a pretty good shooter for me off of a rest; sometimes I wonder about getting a 700P stock and putting on a custom barrel...then I might as well just build a new rifle...

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto about the Caldwell bag. Edgewood makes the best front bag IMHO. Sinclair sells them as does Bruno or any of the real BR retailers.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Caldwell offers three bags for the rest which are an improvement over the one that comes in the box. Midway just sent me a flyer with the bags offered. They're running about $25 filled, plus S&H.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That gun should shoot. I know mine does. I use 165 gr sst's for hunting and my average groups are in the .2's. The best group I've ever shot was really just one hole. The best I could measure was .09 but it's so tough to measure on something so small. That was with Hornady 168 hpbt match at only 2350 fps. I just bought a couple of boxes of 175 matchkings to shoot now. Enjoy your rig!

Posts: 108 | Location: West Fargo, ND | Registered: 16 August 2007Reply With Quote