New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Magnum benchrest gun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I saw a 20-pounder at a rifle shop today, Shilen barrel on a 40X action. Most likely, the necks of the cases will need turning? I am thinking that a test shoot might not be such a good idea unless the previous owner had a few rounds made up.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14370 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the custom chamber data should be stamped on the barrel. Ask the guy at the shop for the data that came with the rifle. BR rifles can be a PITA since most shops don't have a clue...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might also want to ask: Why was it sold?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What good is it other than paper punching at your home range? Not an accurate BR cartridge and probably not be legal in most competitions. A little heavy for a hunt and stalk rifle.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry Bryant shot a 1000 yd. record a few years ago, with a 7mm Mag. Very fine LR cartridge.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What DocEd said, plus one!

Egad, I shot with Larry Bryant when he was a fedguv peon shooting HBR in LaGrande. How times fly.

Rich
ex-tcl

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry is one of the true gentlemen of BR. Very accomplished HC shooter as well as LR.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting ! Anyone know what load (bullet/powder) is was shooting?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
What DocEd said, plus one!

Egad, I shot with Larry Bryant when he was a fedguv peon shooting HBR in LaGrande. How times fly.

Rich
ex-tcl

While Larry may not be a peon anymore, he's still a heck of a nice guy.. He shares residency between Virginia and Oregon, and manages to compete well in the long and short range games...

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
All the custom chamber data should be stamped on the barrel. Ask the guy at the shop for the data that came with the rifle. BR rifles can be a PITA since most shops don't have a clue...

Rich

Thanks, good idea. I didn't look real close at the barrel. It's heavy but can be put in a regular 40X stock for non-benchrest shooting (antelope, although the last one I shot was well under 100 yards). I don't know the history of the rifle, am working on that. Its current owner isn't a benchrest shooter, just liked the gun; I'm more interested in who had it built and how it shot. More on that when I find out...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14370 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Uhhh, one little question...

HOW MUCH?

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sonofagun:
Uhhh, one little question...

HOW MUCH?

The asking price is $1100, with the Leupold 6-24X scope and target turrets ($800 scope). The Shilen barrel and smithing couldn't have been cheap either...

TomP

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Not bad. Could always be the basic for another gun by putting on a different barrel/cartridge and/or bolt face.

You gonna test shoot it? If so, post some results here.

Bob Shaffer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd buy it just to get a Leupold 6x24 scope. I've never seen one or, heard of one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DocEd:
I'd buy it just to get a Leupold 6x24 scope. I've never seen one or, heard of one.

I might be full of beans, maybe it's a 6-20X like on I have on another rifle, and not a 6-24X.

TomP

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Well we're all waiting to hear what the outcome is.

fishing

Bob Shaffer

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sonofagun:
Well we're all waiting to hear what the outcome is.

fishing

I went over there again last week for a few minutes, to commune with it and study the chambering. It's not a tight neck, factory ammunition chambers without any fuss or bother. Now I'm working on the $1100 part. I'll have to get my wife a few lottery tickets maybe....

TomP