New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 200yds. BR 5 shot group
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A group of .047 was shot at 200yds yesterday. That record might stand for a long time. I was in Phoenix when Skip Otto shot his .099 at 200yds and that was probably 8 yrs. ago.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
22PPC or some 30-cal loading? .047 is bordering on the unbreakable...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
not many 22's on the line these day's. Most likely a 6PPC...but you are correct, it may well be untouchable. Heck, that group would trump at least one of the existing 100yd IBS records I can think of.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
Now that I had a chance to check...it would beat ALL existing IBS 100yd records...but not NBRSA records.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Nice but meaningless to many of us without telling us what he was shooting. bewildered

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice, but meaningless to many of us without telling us what he was shooting.

I have to disagree a bit. The goal is to shoot a small center-to-center group, regardless of the caliber used. Imagine a .047" shot with a 155mm howitzer. Damned impressive, that would be! It's equally impressive to me to hear of a .047" shot with a .22, a 6mm, a .30, a .416 or a .50...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the record was LV and that means a 10.5lb. rifle and he was shooting a 6ppc. He used surplus 8208 powder. More later.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I guess I should stop loading my plinker .223's with the white jug powder then?

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess I should stop loading my plinker .223's with the white jug powder then?

What white jug you talkin' about, Willis? I have some WC852 in a white gallon jug. Supposed to be the equivalent of H380. I use 27.5 grains of it for 55-grain .223Remingtom loads. I also have a white jug of WC846 which I use for the same round. Supposed to be the same as BL-C(2). I use 25.0 grains of that for 55-grain pills. Don't go tellin' me I have loaded up a whole passel of bad ammo...

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
It might be interesting bewildered to know the other group sizes he shot at that distance as well as any other groups fired in the same relay.

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to BR.Com and do a search.
Butch

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Unsucessful - can you post a link to the match results or at least say what match it was and where?

Bob Shaffer

One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sonofagun:
Unsucessful - can you post a link to the match results or at least say what match it was and where?

Unfortunately, match results for NBRSA matches are not posted in full detail on the web. They are available to the shooters who were present at the match in a "match report". Some get published later on the the official NBRSA newsletter. Anynow, the match was a Southeast region affair held at Unaka, Tennessee, I believe. I don't know what each of his other groups was, but Johnnie didn't win the AGG, but that's all I know. Groups like this one are a once in a lifetime opportunity that has a whole lot of luck involved. Shooting tiny groups is what most shooters strive for when the accuracy bug hits. Truth be told however, that's not what competitive Benchrest shooting is all about. It's really about not shooting BIG groups.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe it was July 18-20 area this year. Pointblank gave you the rest that I know.
Butch

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Well, I hope someone can find and post the information here or a link at least. What were the conditions? I know some luck had to be involved.

Bob Shaffer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me take a guess. It was raining and the wind was blowing a gale. The guy next to him shot an 1.5" group.
When the new NBRSA monthly publication comes out, more info will be in it.
Butch

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

Bob Shaffer

One of Us
Picture of fprefect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pointblank:
not many 22's on the line these day's. Most likely a 6PPC...but you are correct, it may well be untouchable. Heck, that group would trump at least one of the existing 100yd IBS records I can think of.

When I had a new barrel put on my 40-x a 2 or 3 years ago I almost went to the 6mm PPC but having just bought over 70 boxes of 53 gr. Sierra benchrest bullets for 2.20/box at an estate sale, the cost of replacing that many 22 cal with 6mm, made the choice to stay with the 22PPC an easy one. Of course most lots of Sierra BR buttets are not likely to stand up to a Shilen match bullet for example but for the difference in price and the fact I only shoot in local matches I'll probably be shooting 53 gr Sierras for quite some time. I've have some shooters swear that the 22PPC is more accurate than the 6mm, but I suspect any difference is probably more attribitable to weather conditions more than anything else.

F. Prefect

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and generally been regarded as a bad move......Douglas Adams

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
So what's the best groups you're getting with those Sierras?

Bob Shaffer

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sonofagun, did you notice that, as usual, the shooter with the smallest group did not place in the Agg. or, the Grand Agg.? This is what some people don't understand about BR shooting.
While Johnny has got to be congratulated on a new record and some fine shooting, it takes 5 groups to make up an Agg. You don't have to shoot five really little groups, you just can't shoot any big ones.
Once again, congrats to Johnny.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience with .224 vs 6mm is that speed in the 22 caliber can often overide the wind components especially in 200 yard and less. My next benchrest rifle will be a 22br like Ratigan shoots -- Loved his book on benchrest shooting.....
I think he calls it a 22/100. Big ass case behind the little 22 pellet.....

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Yes, I noticed. Actually I'm quite familiar with benchrest shooting and competition.

"...it takes 5 groups to make up an Agg. You don't have to shoot five really little groups, you just can't shoot any big ones."

Kinda like tournament golf Big Grin

Bob Shaffer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike Ratigan shoots a .100 short 22ppc. No body shoots a 22br in competition that I am aware of as it is severely overbore. For sure Ratigan doesn't use the BR case.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
AS Butch pointed out, Mike doesn't shoot a 22BR...no one that wants to win would. The .22PPC-.100" is about the right capacity for a 22 caliber cartridge in the short range game. A few other shooters(George Kelbly and Bill Forrester most notably) have been campaigning .22's for years. A straight .220 Russain is a favorite, as it has the right size burn column for the 52 grainers as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
quote:
Nice, but meaningless to many of us without telling us what he was shooting.

I have to disagree a bit. The goal is to shoot a small center-to-center group, regardless of the caliber used. Imagine a .047" shot with a 155mm howitzer. Damned impressive, that would be! It's equally impressive to me to hear of a .047" shot with a .22, a 6mm, a .30, a .416 or a .50...

Only numbers I want to hear are target distance and MOA . . .

-- caliber, bullet weight, rifling, case prep, load, primer, trigger, optics, wind, ambient temp . . . humidity . . .

"200 metres and 0.47" don't tell me much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Ladd,
Do you think that group was shot with unprepped brass? 200yds and a .047 group is approx .0235MOA.
That answer your question?
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"200 metres and 0.47" don't tell me much

Roll Eyes

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Butch,

is that the same powder at the Tubal?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are the scorers reporting that group as MOA or inches? I ask because there was no " or MOA on the original post and I have run into a couple of posts where groups AND aggs were reported in MOA. What class gun was used?

Just a reminder: Mark Walker shot a .067" .0335 MOA 5 shot group at the WA state unlimited championship in July, this year.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Groups in BR are actual size. The aggregates are computed in MOA. Unlimiteds are railguns and the bag guns MOA was .0235 as listed above. An .067 group is great with any rifle, but not as god as the .047 group.

Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for providing that info which was not in the original post. BTW, although these days a lot if not most unlimited guns are rails, not ALL are. In WA (the birthplace of benchrest) some clubs insist on shoulder fired rifles only. I still do not see which class in which the group you report was shot.

Just a gripe at SOME scorers and posters if they read this forum: If everyone reported the same way, the question of inches or MOA would not have come up.--later- here's another gripe to add to the confusion- Looking at the NBRSA short range records-you'll find short range aggs listed as inches not MOA-and we thought those guys at least had this all down pat.
http://nbrsa.org/nbrsa-short-r...-records#attachments

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote