New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting at 800 yards.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I went to Bradford Sportsmens Farm last Saturday to be qualified on their 850 yard range. This is a requirement if you want to shoot on that range. There were 5 of us and we shot first at 600 yards. The target was a 40x36 inch sheet of white cardboard with a 3" red paster dot in the middle. I only had my comeup from 300 to 850 with me so I had to seek help from someone there who had a ballistic table calculator app for his iPhone! I was on in two shots so I was happy. Bullet holes could be seen with a decent spotting scope.
Next step was 800 yards. This was different as bullet holes could not be seen, and after a couple of trips down range we had an RO with a 2 way radio down range (behind a safety berm) and an RO up with us. We would shoot, call it cold, he would take a look, radio the results back, mark the hole, take cover and repeat. This time it took me 6 rounds to get centered on the target. I was shooting my 308 Rem HB.
This shows the frustrations in shooting at these distances. You really need a spotter looking through a spotting scope to look for dirt splashes in case you are not "on paper". White targets are best for spotting bullet holes. Mirage was not a problem this time, but has been in the past (it was 9 am).
I intend to go back and shoot for groups with the 308 and sight in my 223 Savage at that distance.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will have to come shoot the Quigley Rifle Match the weekend of Father's Day with us some time. Single shot rifles and cast lead bullets, and iron sights. Okay, a few scopes, but the old 6X tube style.
It is shot mostly off of cross sticks from the sitting position. Bigger targets, but a lot of wind and mirage to deal with in Forsyth, MT.

Our Buffalo target is 799 yds. It is a challenge shooting that far, with the best of equipment.

Congratulations on your accomplishment!!

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IS I am just learning this game. Your match sounds rather cool as I have a Ruger in 45/70 that might be suitable ie. the round probably reaches the lower stratosphere and you might be able to light a cigar before the bullet hit!
I plan on shooting the gun (as is) at 100 and 200 just to see where the bullets hit at those ranges (help with zeroing later). That should help me when I go back out there. I must confess that while I started writing down the adjustments initially I probably missed a few! Then I really want to verify the scope adjustments at the intermediate ranges. I've got the 300, 600 and 800 (pretty much) but I would really like to get it nailed down, and by doing so, confirm the ballistic table calculations. Plus I have some 155 Palma Match rounds loaded up and I would like a side by side group comparison at the longer ranges. Lots to do!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot the gun (sighted in at 800 yards) at 100 yards today. 29 1/2 inches high! If I have to re-sight it, this should put me on paper anyway. This is extremely close to what I expected as I came up roughly 25 MOA from my 300 yard zero!
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter,
Just a suggestion, but std. come ups for 308 are with rifle sighted in at 100yds as follows:
1-200yds., 2moa, 2-300yds., 3moa, 300-600yds., 10moa, 6-800yds., 10moa, 8-900yds., 5moa, 9-1000yds., 5moa.
Loads, rifle, weather, etc. will give some variance on these, but will generally get you on paper/target. With the 155Palma you may be a bit on the high side with these come ups but should get a hit. I preferred the 190's due to wind bucking ability and had to alter a bit.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MFD, I used your "rule of thumb" which seems to compare well with the ballistic table calculators I used. Thus, I was about 5" high at 100 for my 300 yard zero (2moa plus 3 moa), Then to get to 850 I added 25 moa for a total of 30 MOA. The end result verified on target was 29 1/2 MOA for an 800 yard zero.
Thanks for all your help, Peter.