New
Find
Notify
Tools

F Class on a budget
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The recession has bit hard into my saving but I still would like to give F Class a try. My question is if on a tightish budget are the new Savage Target rifles worth giving serious consideration too?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Even the Savage target rifles are pricey. I have shot F class quite successfully with my Savage 110FP in 223. They don't make them any more but you should be able to find one used for a reasonable price I would think. Then, if you get serious you can rebarrel it in 6mm BR or 6.5x284.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tophand, yes the savage target rifles would make a good entry level rifle provided you get a twist that's fast enough to shoot heavy bullets. A .223 with a 1 in 9 twist should be o.k.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
The Savages are accurate. If you have the bucks, the FTR models are ready out of the box. If not start with a budget model and add a bull barrel. Be carful of the synthetic stock it is a little flexible. Off of a rest or bipod you won't have a problem but with a sling you can twist it enough to hit the barrel.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK I will admit I am Old School, but I would recommend you start out with a Remington heavy barreled rifle in 308.

I would shoot Sierra 175 gr Match Kings.

Later when you have worn that barrel out you can have it rebarreled...

I think in the long run for a target rifle a Remington 700 is hard to beat.

I have shot a fair amount of Service Rifle, Palma, and Any Any...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't disagree with NE as I have a Rem 700 HB in 308 and it is amazingly accurate. I don't use the 175SMKs but do use the 168 SMKs and the 155 Palmas. The nice thing about a 223 is that it is as accurate out to 600 yards and the recoil and noise is so much less, especially shooting 60 rounds in 20 shot strings! Also cheaper to shoot!
Just my 2 cents, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Even the Savage target rifles are pricey. I have shot F class quite successfully with my Savage 110FP in 223. They don't make them any more but you should be able to find one used for a reasonable price I would think. Then, if you get serious you can rebarrel it in 6mm BR or 6.5x284.
Peter.

Peter

Thanks for the heads up re the 110FP. I suspect they are more readily available snd hand over there in the USofA than they are here in the UK.

But its worth keeping an eye out for one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
OK I will admit I am Old School, but I would recommend you start out with a Remington heavy barreled rifle in 308.

I would shoot Sierra 175 gr Match Kings.

Later when you have worn that barrel out you can have it rebarreled...

I have shot a fair amount of Service Rifle, Palma, and Any Any...

Finding a Rem700 Hvy Barrelled .308 might be a little easier than dropping on a Savage 110FT but I'd rather not have to go thru all that barrel evaluation process that you have to do when dealing with snd hand rifles. Having a bore scope would help considerably but I don't have access to one.

At least with the Savage it should be some where near the money from the get go.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im in the same boat! I went with the rem 700, reBLL in 1-8twist! And it cost a hell of a lot more than my buddys, savage LRPV or whatever their called! they have a 1-7 twist, to shoot them heavy ones! like (90s)!!! But I'll tell you this, there isnt shit cheep! Once you get shooting, @ the matches. You will see everyones stuff, and want more and better shit! And now i have a rem .308 5-R! this shooting stuff is like crack, so they say! LOL Just cant get enough!!

Posts: 155 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At one point as I recall, the purpose of F class was to get folks out to shoot their hunting rifles, with scopes and rests. Unfortunately it has become an equipment race, but it does not have to be if you just want to have fun and be reasonably competitive.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well unless you shoot open, you can only shoot .223 and .308! Its all fun, your always going to have ppl that have more $ then skill!
Proof is on the target, and your worse enemy is the WIND!!!!! Once you master that, its in the bag...lol And when you do let me know! HA HA.

Posts: 155 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I have been trying to do this cheap as I can.

So far.

Used Rem700SA cost me $379.99

This stock from STOCKYS @217.00

New 308 M700 varmit 26" take off FREE! dancing

base & rings $50.00

Scope Leupold Vari X III 4.5x14 AO $451.00 (ebay)

Total &997.99 SO far.

Another 100.00 minimum for a competition trigger.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My son in law has two Savage rifles for F-Class one in .223 Remington and the other .308 Win. Both rifle are very accurate.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My question is if on a tightish budget are the new Savage Target rifles worth giving serious consideration too?

I've just broken in a new Savage model 12 Palma Rifle in 308. It consistently shoots ~1/2" groups at 100 yds with the 155 Palma bullets at 2977 fps with Varget. In my experience, that will work fine for 1000 yds. I plan to shoot it in a 1000 yd match next month.

In shooting with a sling and sights stock adjustment is important. The stock seems to be able to do what I need. At this point, I think the rifle is a great value.

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Savage F-Class rifle in 6.5x284 is holding sub-1/2" out to 300. Haven't had a chance to shoot it any farther.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rem. 700 "Tactical", 26" bbl. in .308 Win. Leupold Mark 4 6.5 - 20x 50mm, Alumina hood, Jewell trigger. So far it's running about $3,500, and it's STILL cheaper than trap shooting guns!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Randall,
If you want to be competitive in FClass you need to get a good scope.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you want to be competitive in FClass you need to get a good scope

Sorry butch I don't understand this. What should he use that is better than a Leupold 6.5-20x 50?
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of Cary Howard
posted Hide Post
I have the Savage Model 12 F-Class chambered in 6.5 x 284 Norma. The barrel twist is 1-8" and it is un-real how accurate this rifle is. Who ever says that Savage just makes cheap guns obviously has not shot one of these!!! I'm shooting 1/2" or better groups at 100 yards.

Posts: 210 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Me too. currently with the S-B PMII scope on it. My home range is only 100 yards and it's just not worth it to break it out the difference between 3, 5 and 10 shot groups is tiny.

IIRC the Savage factory team won a LOT last year and this year with basically factory rifles.

http://savageaccuracy.com/2009...rt-by-darrell-buell/

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage model 12 F (6.5-284). I have only put about 100 rounds through it so far but I did shoot a 5 shot group at 800 yards that measured 4.75" outside to outside. Before that, when I was sighting in at 200 yds I shot 3 shots that measured 7/8" outside to ouside. I just got priveleges to my gun clubs 1000 yd range and am an extreme amature at this. I did not even work up this load. I just picked something and loaded a bunch to go play. Needless to say I am extremely sold on the gun. My only complaint is the big square stock. I think the 308 version has a more usable stock (for bipod and rear bag use)

Posts: 153 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
The 308 "Palma" has a great stock. I'm trying to fit my 6.5 action to that stock, but it looks like a lot of work ahead.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter,
Sorry, been and still in Alaska and not always in front of a computer. My first choice by far is a March and next a Nightforce. Both are much superior to the Leupold.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tophand:
The recession has bit hard into my saving but I still would like to give F Class a try. My question is if on a tightish budget are the new Savage Target rifles worth giving serious consideration too?

The proof is in the trophies and medals, Savage is no longer the other gun, but proven the most accurate rifle out of the box and beyond. In addition, stock savage rifles have beaten some of the most expensive custom barrels in the world. This is not debatable, it's a simple fact!

"The competition featured some of the best talent and most expensive custom rifles from around the Country. But, once again, those expensive custom guns were no match for four skilled marksmen armed with stock Savage Model 12 rifles."

This list of long-range events Team Savage has won recently is getting almost as long as the distances they shoot at.

Savage recently added the 2010 F T/R National Championship to the list by taking the team competition in grand fashion. The won both the 600 and 1,000 yard events, establishing an new 1,000-yard record of 778-21X.

From me: IMO, Savage has come a long way and is now machining bbls that not only rival the long established competition but is beating these custom barrels right out of the box. Many competitive shooters that have spent thousands are in denial and refuse to except the fact that they have an inferior product to that of Savage to justify their purchase or lack of knowledge about Savage's target rifles. As a competitive shooter (primarily tactical, just getting in to F class and BR) for the last 25 years, I will no longer be spending hundreds of bucks to re-barrel. As long as Savage maintains their new high end quality, that's where I'm at.

Darrell Buell of Damascus, OR; John Weil of Welches, OR; Monte Milanuk of Wenatchee WA and Stan Pate of Milwaukie, OR made the trip to Sacramento, CA to represent Savage Arms.

Posts: 542 | Location: So. Cal | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote