New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would this be a good group?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I shot a three-shot group that measured .073 inches from my .223Rem Encore with its 26-inch stainless barrel. I can't really see it that well-- my eyes just don't focus like they used to. I measured the group by setting my digital caliper to .224, zeroed it there, then measured.

Brass was garden-variety Winchester (nickle-plated), unknown primers, unknown powder, unknown charge weight, bullet is thought to be those 62-grain military FMJs you get from Widener's. Might be Russian-- not sure. Front rest was my homemade, adjustable sandbag and rear was a Protektor 13B. Most satisfying part was I shot this best-ever (for me) group through a $90, 4-16X BSA Mil-dot scope mounted in $10 aluminum "gunshow" rings. The man next to me with the Kimber, VX-III and high-dollar commercial ammo was not pleased...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only if you can do it again!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll sure as hell give it a shot...

Just spoke with my accuracy nut friend. The gun the man next to me had was a Cooper with a Krieger barrel put on after the original sale. I have less than $900 in my gun. The Cooper man, Paul, has to have over double that amount. My Encore has always shot very well. It's nothing for me to pop squirrels in the head and upper body all day at 200 yards. Makes me want to get out there again and give it another whirl...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
when you can do it five times in a row, at fifteen minute intervals...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shots can also fly into a group. If it's not consistent it doesn't mean much.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I know that repeatability is the criterea but I have a .084 on the wall from my 20 VarTarg when most groups in testing were in the .25-.4 range.Still it is on the wall and I will claim it, but I by no means have a zero's capable rifle.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup! Great group. Just goes to show that every dog has his day. Top dogs just have a lot of them Wink

(I do not fall in that most illustrious category ... sigh ... )

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
when you can do it five times in a row, at fifteen minute intervals...

Rich

I wish I could get out there that often. Our range is only open on Sundays from 0800 to 1200. We shoot straight into the rising sun, so we can't get a really good look at the target until the sun rises enough to be blocked by the canopy over the benches. The group I shot was done with my friend holding a golf umbrella just so to block the sun. Makes a hell of a difference...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are talking about a good target match or BR match group--3 shots are 60% of the FIRST relay's group, if you are shooting 5 shot rules. There are also 10 shot relay competitions. The aggregate of 5 relays is what is scored-- 25 or 50 shots. One of the best local point blank guys here recently shot a .188 MOA aggregate (50 shots in less than .4" at 200 yards) and had a record--for a few days.

A close three shot group is kind of nice to fold up and put in your wallet and show it to the guys at the barber shop....we've all done it.....I can't begin to compete with the real shooters for aggs, so I have a few nice groups to show off-- I'm still working on trying to get under .2 MOA with a tenner--it may be my life's work................BTW, at our matches groups are measured from worst edge to edge, that is the furthest apart two points of the group (this includes any fringe obviously discolored by the bullet fring around the holes. Then you subtract your caliber. At 100 yards, this measurement is also the MOA; at 200 yards it is divided by 2 to get the MOA, which is the way 200 yards is scored under the rules used here. ie. a 1: group at 100 yards is 1MOA; at 200 yards that same group is 1/2 MOA and etc....for some reason all groups over 200 yards are scored the same, but reported in inches,, don't ask me why..........

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote