New
Find
Notify
Tools

sudgestion please
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentelman I how found a new love , benchrest shooting . The guestion is I don't know where to start.

What type of gun and what caliber . I know everyone has their choice , so this is a loaded

question , but please fire away. Thanks

Posts: 103 | Location: Piney woods of southeast TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would advise you to go to www.benchrestcentral.com and visit both of the sactioning organizations' websites. NBRSA and IBS. Check the match schedules and go to a match. Ask questions and look at how the rifles are built. Most all BR shooters are willing to answer questions and offer advice to new shooters.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Benchrestcentral.com is a great site. Also subscribe to Precision Shooting magazine.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the address to the site they speak of is www.benchrest.com

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are located in texas you will more than likely be concerned with group shooting. The most popular ctg. by far is a 6ppc. There are a number of good gunsmiths around that will build you a gun in that cal. Shooters corner in New Jersey is owned by Bob White, a very accomplished B,R. shooter himself, past president of the I.B.S. and a great gentleman to do buisness with. I believe his shop is the largest retailer of used B.R. guns in the country. A used gun from Bob or somebody like him is a good investment while waiting for a gun to be built for you, and you will more than likely have a wait. If you are serious about B.R. shooting, you can join a chat line that has some of the best score shooters around on it most nights. The address I believe is www.bench-talk.com There are quite a few oppertunities in your area for someone to get into B.R., although that may depend just where in Texas you are. Keep forgetting just how big that place is. If you do go to bench-talk just follow the chat line trail, you must sign in with your real name and please don't think that you will be intimadated at all, these guys are all pros at what they do and like nothing more than to see a new guy join in and learn all they can. An hour or so there should be about the most informative time that you have spent in a long time. We do have our B.S. sessions like anyone else, but you ask a question and it will be answered. Good luck and if I can be of any help email me and let me know just what I can do for you.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started in a round about way. Tried building a BR rifle from my Varmint gun. I ended up trading into a good used BR rifle. Hall action. Then progressed into a RBLP Borden TPE, traded that in to Shooters Corner for a Viper Drop port and think I have arrived. It will take some time to learn how to make brass, read wind flags, tune, read wind flags, tune and read wind flags. Go to a match and ask lots of questions.

Mike

vmthtr@new.rr.com
920-562-4134

Posts: 224 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 08 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They're is a great group of guys shooting in the Port Arthur, Beaumont area. Probably your closes place. Send me an e-mail and I can put you in touch with everybody. papawlambert@starband.net
Butch Lambert

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i sujesst a 22-250, it can shoot most of the 22 caliber bullets at a good velocity. and if u get a good quality barrel,it will be super accurate. i recomend what ever style rifel you are use to shooting so you keep with the same safety

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are serious about BR, don't buy anything except a BR rifle. Anything else will not compete and if you are serious you will have wasted money on a gun that won't get the job done.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Butch says, get yourself a decent B.R. gun. You more than likely will not find one in 22-250 simply because it is not that accurate a ctg. If you are familiar at all with brass prep. and can turn necks, you will be at a great advantage, fir the simple reason that all but a very few B.R. guns are tight necked. I would suggest a 6PPC or even a 6 BR as there will be less work on the brass with the B.R. Talk to Bob White at shooters Corner, he will not steer you wrong. The one thing that I think all B.R. shooters will agree on is get a true bench gun, or you will be wasting your money. The ctg. I think is important, but less so than the gun itself as the barrel can be changed with very little trouble. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Bob