New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 barrel length
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i got a remington 700 action i'm gonna build off of. i just ordered a hart barrel, it can be finished up to 26". i'm looking for extreme accuracy out of this gun. what length do i need to get this barrel finished to? i'm probably gonna get the barrel threaded on the end for a supressor later down the road but right now it's about making this thing shoot. would also like some advice on the stock i should use. was thinking about the mcmillian A5 but is there a better option for my money?

Posts: 91 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 17 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kacole, you have had no response so far, so let me try. First of all, with modern powders of various burn rates there is no need IMHO for a long barrel for a 308. You should be able to drive the bullet as fast as you need to. Secondly, the game of ultimate accuracy is benchrest. They do NOT use long barrels but short and very rigid (ie. fat) barrels. So, unless you intend to shoot with open sights, a long barrel (within reason) will not buy you anything. I would suggest that a 22-24 inch barrel would be fine. You don't say what contour you have ordered.
A combination of Varget and 155 Sierra Palma match bullets has worked well for me out to 850 yards using a Rem 700 HB in 308.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Peter said is spot on. I have a Tikka T3 Tact. w/ 20" barrel which is heavy and stiff as they say. Shoots extremely well out to 800yds with bullets and powder mentioned. Have not shot it beyond 800 so don't know how it will do there. Have others with 26" and Palma rifle has 30". I know they do fine at 1000yds, but as also mentioned, the 30" barrel provides the correct sight radius for use of micrometer/peep sights adjustment wise. Come August will find out about the Tikka for going to use it in the Canadian Full Bore matches. Will say the muzzle blast/noise is greater with the short barrel than the others or at least it seems that way.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the barrel is gonna be a standard sendero weight. i was thinking 22 inches.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mfd what kind of group are you calling extremely well at 800 yards?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, for me anyway, I like the X ring. Have "cleaned" the 800yd Palma target with some 6-9 X's and balance in the 10 ring. A measure I tend to use to determine if I am shooting well is keeping somewhere near 50% of the shots in the X ring. If you do that you may pull a nine now and then, but generally will have a good score. Load, gun, position, conditions, sight picuture, etc. have been good to shoot those scores. A bad habit to get into, but have put some 10 or more shots in the spotter in the X ring out of 15 shots. When I say bad habit, by focusing on the spotter you will forget to monitor the wind, conditions, and that will mess you up. Trust me, the above performance is not norm and have many times had a hard time keeping them in the 10 ring. Short answer would be 1 MOA at whatever range will give you the potential of good scores.
Back to short stiff barrels though, I have not done any better with 26" or 30" barrels at 800yds. Can't say about beyond that at this time, but in Spring going to do some testing/practice at 9 and 1000yds.
If shooting Palma matches and you do not clean the 800yd line, you are in trouble for target is the same at 9 and 1000yds only more distance/wind to deal with in your shots. Have never cleaned the 900 or 1000yd target and highest score shot was a 446. Dropped one at the 900 and 3 at the 1000. Old saying, which I don't like to think about, is that whatever you drop at 8 and 9 will be double that at 1000yds.
Not a good mindset to have while shooting Palma.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote