THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BENCHREST AND TARGET SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Benchrest & Target Shooting    Accuracy International=Baffling day at the range.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accuracy International=Baffling day at the range.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok,

So I go with a friend that has an Accuracy International 300 WinMag 27 inch barrel 1-11 twist, to rearrange the paint on the 600yd gong. Did some paper shooting also after some very unexpected results from both his 300 and my 308-not my 40X. It seems that a week ago Larry was provided info(from a fellow from AI)to load his bullets out to maximum magazine length. His previous OAL was 3.53. New OAL 3.62. Powder charge the same 79gr H1000, bullet same Hornady 208gr A-max, same magnum primer. The difference at 600yds was .6 MOA. The ballistic calculator used previously for range development was based upon chronograph measurements of 2888fps@muz. It showed +3.1 MIL at 600 from 100yd zero. The only way we were able to come up with numbers that matched the range results(+2.5 MIL)was to increase velocity to 3150 in the program. Did he really gain 262fps merely by increasing OAL by .09? The bullet is still not touching the lands.

With my 308 I was shooting RBCD 126gr around 3400 muzzle 5 inches high at 100yds. I expected there to be some drop at 300yds. NIL, Nada, Neitz! Still 5" high at 300. I was able to consistantly ring the 600yd gong by bracketing it with the horizontal and verticle center of the reticle--basically aiming 5"high and 5"left..the wind was blowing about 9.3 mph with gusts to 12.9. My 308 is a Remy 700 Varmint, slightly modified. Barrel cut back to 20 inches. It is 1-12 twist. It was funny how the bullet holes from 308 were oblong at 100yds and perfectly round at 300yds. Am I to assume my 308 was not stabilizing these rounds until they "slowed down a bit"?

It was a most interesting day and it has left both of us shaking our heads.

Anybody got any guess as to what we just witnessed?

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Can't help with the Win Mag question, but with the 5 inches high at 100 and 300 your bullet is still going up at 100 and coming down at 300. Zero is around 370 yards give or take a couple of yards for different aerodynamics.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Increasing the OAL in the 300 win mag will increase the velocity. When you seat to recommended length the bullet is to far past the base of the neck so you have pressure on the side of the bullet as well as the base.

Wayne

Wayne Johnson

Posts: 76 | Location: Yuba City California | Registered: 26 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You still haven't figured this out after posting it on 5 forums????

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
As for the ovals at 100 you were right, bullet not stabilized yet. Not a speed thing just a time thing. I've heard it referd to as the bullet "going to sleep" when it finally stabilizes.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drew, you changed the load.
That changes the dynamics in the chamber at the time of firing. Doesn't matter if you change the bullet, powder, primer, cases, or seating depth, you changed the load, and that can change the velocity and/or the point of impact.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have elevation built into your scope mounting system?

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
You still haven't figured this out after posting it on 5 forums????

To whom are you speaking? If me please show which 5 forums I posted this in.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was exaggerating. But didn't I see this in Reloading, Medium Bores, and now here?

AS has your answer.
Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is the thing. I have noticed you can post basically the same question in different forums and get different answers from the same people, WTF-over?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that makes you a "Keyboard Cowboy"?
Hee Hee.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

You are lost. GFYS

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was referring to post count.
YFM

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote