Find
Notify
Tools

Tiger Valley Long Range Shoot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is the post from AR15.com.

For those of you wanting to get a work out for your long range smoke poles, Tiger Valley is having a long range shoot June 11th, 2006 Sunday, starting at 8:30 am. I plan on starting out like our last shoot where we started out at the 200 and worked our way back. This time I want to have a long range match for those who are up to it, starting at the 800 yard line. Tiger Valley will give medals for the first 3 places. Cost is $30.00 for the shoot and match.
Rules: any caliber, any comp, sand bags OK, no benches, spotters allowed before match begins. contact me with further questions.

http://www.tigervalley.com/

At the last one we started at 8:30am and were done at 1:30 but with out the match. The match will be 10 shots at 800, 900 and 1k. The wife has stamped my kitchen pass so I will be there. Bring food water and ammo.

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had about 26 shooters on Sunday. Started at the 200 and went to 1000.
Shot my Browning 71 at 200. Man are my eyes are getting bad, good thing it was a 6ft target.
At 300 I pulled out the 700 with 28" Shilen and 4x14 Lupy. Three shots to ck dope and I was done. It was the same until 1k. Temp was 95F and not a cloud in the sky with the wind from 4:30 to 9:00 and gusts to about 8mph. I dialed it in and damn I shot an X. At this point I almost put the gun away. But no I gotta do it again. Well after 8 more still no X. I have never shot with that bad of mirage and I think that was some of my trouble at 1k. I know I was alot of the trouble.
We were done about 2pm and them they started the 800, 900 and 1k match. Buy that point I was spent. Gallon and a half of water and a bottle of Gatoraid and took a leak once. Hung out in the shade and heard several of the other shooters talked obout wind and mirage canceling each other out. I have never heard that before and would like to hear form yall about it.
Thanks to TJ and Bret. Had a great time.

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello dick broussard,
As an example, if you are seeing mirage and it tends to go away on you, dissapear,the wind has probably picked up to something near or even over 10 mph. It goes "flat line..." if you will. I have shot long range for many years and that is always a good sign for me to either change my wind adjustment or hold up for same conditions to return. Only got so much time, so may well have to adjust for the additional wind out there. Now, if seeing mirage, and you know there is wind as well, I was taught to adjust for both, wind and mirage. I have seen the targets at 8-1000 yards seem to go oval or stretch sideways if you will due to the mirage and you will actually aim accordingly. It also does it at 600, but that is where long range starts for record and it is not as bad there. I shoot micrometer/peep sights and w/ naked eye it is real tricky until you realize what is going on and then you can adjust accordingly. Just keep telling yourself that the"wind is my friend..." I have used all manner of rifle scopes, from Tasco to U.S.Optics, as good as it gets, and the rifle scope is not the optics you want to dope the wind with for the best is not good at doing that. Need a good Kowa or equal spotting scope to dope the wind and dial in the mirage and then you can adjust much closer. Just my personal experience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Diver, thanks for the feed back. I have done some looking and talking and found some good stuff. I understand the spotting scope and wind relationship. The word I have is to take the scope out of focus (1/16-1/4 turn) to cancel some of the mirage.
What I have learned:
I need a good spotting scope
I need to shoot more (damn)