Find
Notify
Tools

Competition triggers
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
OK If you aren't going to buy a Jewel trigger what would you buy for Hunter class & why. I am looking REAL hard at the Shilen competition trigger.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug,
I don't think you are giving away anything with one of the new Shilen triggers. They have just revamped their trigger program and have a new fancy electronic trigger tester. It measures and shows many more things than pull weight, creep, and overtravel. You have a PM.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thanks Butch. You just help me make the decision easier. They are just too proud of those jewel triggers.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug,
You should have your Shilen in a few days.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Butch I can't wait. Need to start practicing for the upcoming match on the 23rd of this month. I really appreciate your help.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug,

when you get to the match, just ask and see what your competitors are using. Then ask why...

Is your club shooting the TCL format?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is your club shooting the TCL format?

This is my first formal match ever. I don't have a clue what TCL is (yet) Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a reason why Jewell triggers are highly rated. If you want to set your trigger under 1.5 oz. Jewell will make the spring for you.

Mine is set up at about 4 - 6 oz. No creep, and no worries about AD when closing the bolt. I have about $3,500 into a rifle and optics. $325 for a Jewell installed is worth every cent, and not much when considered in light of the rest of the equipment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why $325 installed? Larry Scott on 6mmbr.com sells them for $167. including shipping.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Why $325 installed? Larry Scott on 6mmbr.com sells them for $167. including shipping.
Butch

Thanks for that info! Thats cheap.

Posts: 155 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Am I that old?

TCL: Randy Robinett in Iowa ran the Trans Contintental League for years. I got my first HBC rifle back in 1988 when blueprinted 700's were still championship capable.
The TCL was a national shoot, tabulated monthly for records purposes. It was a bring your Hunter Class rifle and shoot format. The top five scores were entered in from each club. I had a fine Steve Kostanich 308W. .332" neck and Sierra 150gr MK's with about 41gr of H4895. I had good eyes then, and a wife that could read mirage and wind like nobody's business. I made that Top Five at eighteen out of nineteen matches we shot that year, 1989.
I finished in a 3-way tie for 7th in the country, and won the tie-breaker on X-count.
Now, of course, I have tri-focals and stick to hunting Africa and shooting black powder single shot rifle matches.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich- How about showing us some of your favorite trophies won at some of these matches?
Or any match for that matter. Like to see your stockpile.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In about 700 other posts I have said that I cannot post pictures.

Send me your Email addy and I will send you twenty or thirty to post for me.
Do you know Larry Cribbs in LaGrande, or Steve Kostanich in Chehalis, or Vern Johnson in Tigard? You could also ask Randy if he still has the records from that era.
Get your collection of Precision Shooting Magazines from 1988-98 and read the match results. Or any of the hundred-plus articles I wrote for them about having rifles built, and shooting them.

My competition from that ten year span is all a matter of record. You just have to look...

regards,

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In about 700 other posts I have said that I cannot post pictures.

Why not? I use www.hotchyx.com. No account needed, no membership, no registration. You just browse for your picture in whatever location you have it on your computer, upload it, then select the BBCode and Copy it. Then you Paste it in your post. Then, you delete everything to either side of the [IMG] and [/IMG] brackets. Takes about 60 seconds to put up a picture.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In about 700 other posts I have said that I cannot post pictures.(Quote)

Riiight---- Then how did you post that photobucket picture of you? Learning impared. moon

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, "blueprinted 700's were still championship capable". They still are. I just won the IBS 200-300 National Championships, in the Varmint Hunter class, with a 722 based rifle. I missed setting a new agg record by 1 point. My wife finished second with her 700 based rifle. The week before she set a possible new 100-200 Varmint Hunter agg record with the same rifle. Remingtons are still "championship capable"!

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pegleg,

my nephew did it. And he got it wrong, it was supposed to be under my name in the box on the left. Neither of us can figure out how to move it, or I would.

DocEd,

that is fantastic to read!

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been around long enough to remember Rich's articles in Precision Shooting.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That makes you old too!

It was a really magic time, all the stuff going on then.

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Butch
Larrys a nice guy! 209$ for mine shipped! top safe and bolt release, Thanks for the info.....

Posts: 155 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Shilen is set at 2 ounces and works just fine. I haven't tried to set it at 1 1/2 oz. so can't say.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Butch

That's the "bench" model. I have the one with the safety. Factory authorized Rem. install ran $100.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I still have my PS magazines from that era. Rich, what name were you writing under (I don't know your last name). Anything in the Precision Shooting 1995, 1996 or 1997 Annuals or The Benchrest Shooting Primer?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote