THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BENCHREST AND TARGET SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Benchrest & Target Shooting    220Russian to 6PPC - case length & neck turning troubles - Donut?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

220Russian to 6PPC - case length & neck turning troubles - Donut?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have just finished transforming some .220 Russian to 6PPC and came across a few problems.

I expanded the necks, then turned so the would chamber with a bullet in the case.

Fireformed then resized and trimmed the necks.
First problem; the case length was shorter than I would have liked, but not by much after fireforming. I have ended up with cases that are 37.75mm instead of 37.80mm. No big deal.

With the case mouths square I decied to run them through the neck turner again, on the same setting as before, especially since they were a very tight fit.

This time the turner took off very little material, but left a patch on every neck untouched. The same spot on each case. It also took away more brass down near the shoulder.

I suspect that I have come across the dreaded donut I read about in the instructions for the neck turner (K&M).

I will have to use these cases as they are, because I'm leaving for Australia to hunt in a week. I'm not overly concerned at this point, I suspect that the low spot in the necks is due to the die, and would probably straighten out once I fire and turn again, right?

Are these common problems?

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is normal for the 220 Russian to shorten when fireformed in a PPC chamber. As the case walls lose some of their taper and the shoulder angle changes, the case gets shorter. If your chamber has enough freebore the doughnut is not a problem.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the first thing is find the chamber neck size, then figure out what the neck walls need to be (I like around 2-3 thousands of clearence when a loaded round in in the chamber. Set up your K&M turner to cut the amount you want and cut them one time, get it right the first time.

Posts: 225 | Location: AZ | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
http://www.benchrest.com/forums/ Here is a link to center fire benchrest. The shoot a lot of 6ppc. Do a search or ask there also.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1- both, dull and shiny areas after neck turning indicates that wall thickness is varying,
This is quite normal - to a certain extent. With too much wall thickness and bigger cases than the PPC, you might encounter the banana effect. Variance in wall thickness is detrimental to accuracy- you may want to check cases for this.

2- the donut appears after a while of shooting in the shoulder/neck junction area. It starts behind the bottom of the seated bullet.
It is caused by the flow of brass when firing (when case expands).
To avoid the donut (which may cause the Venturi effect and cause chambering problems), run the mandrel as deep as possible into case. This is an extra process with inline dies.

-----------------------------
Too bad the only people who know how to run the country are busy driving
cabs and cutting hair. ~George Burns

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote