New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proper Sling use for prone competition
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going to start shooting some 50 yard slow fire matches with my .22. The match is shot from the prone unsupported position. A sling is allowed. Can anyone explain or better yet post a picture or link showing the correct sling setup/position for this type of shooting.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello elkhunter,
Let me suggest you go to www.odcmp.com and search their web site. Believe you would find what you are looking for there. Does your rifle have a forward hand stop rail installed?? What type of small bore are you using?? I will also take a look at my manuals and see if I can come up with some pics for you or a source of same. I shoot matches and have for years, but to explain just how one should use a sling is one of the most difficult things to explain for it is a "feel" that one develops and when your scores go up, increase, etc. you will know that feeling in your sling. Not to sound mythical about it, but a fact for most shooters.
Do not let anyone guide you into believing that the sling must be so tight that it hurts or it is not tight enough, wrong, wrong, old school, sling and you must be comfortable in order to produce good scores. Only common sense. You will need a shooting glove/mit and elbow pad or good shooting coat w/ elbow pads. Always twist sling one half turn before wraping hand/arm into it and that is so it will not bind on the back of your hand but lay flat. 22's have no recoil to deal with as in high power but once into sling, amiming at target, shut your eyes for approx. 3-5 seconds and see if aiming point is on the same spot?? If not you are out of position and not in what is called natural point of aim or NPA. Won't attempt to write all of this for you because books and books have been written on the subject and do help, but find someone in your area with a classification of shooting-Master or even High Master if you can find one in high power, long range and get some personal instruction. Most will be glad to help you however they can for it is a "passed down skill...." as they say and those having learned it are somewhat obligated to pass on the knowledge they have gained from others. Good Luck and if I can be of any assistance, let me know.