One of Us
Picture of HTR30CAL
posted
I am thinking about building a new rifle thw specs would be

300wm
remington 700 action
McMillan stock not sure which model yet
Shilen Stainless select match 24 in bbl #8 contour

i already have the action it is from a 270 so i was wondering if i should get an aftermarket bolt or open the face i already have
also i am thinking about having the action blue printed and sleeved

how does this sound

any thoughts, opinions, recommendations, ideas, sugestions are welcome

there is room for all of God's creatures, right on my wall

Wyoming Wolves, Smoke A Pack A Day

Wolves, Government Sponsored Terrorists

If its hungry, send it a Berger

Posts: 44 | Location: Wyoming USA | Registered: 22 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SxS-boy
posted Hide Post
The bolt face on your .270 is .473" if you open it up to the .532" of the 300 Win-mag you are going to loose the extraction claw groove. Therefore you will need to have your gunsmith install a "Sako" style extractor, which by the way is an excellent compliment to a blue-printed action job. However... all of this is going to run you $1000-1500. For the same amount of $$$ you can get a barreled action from Howa in the caliber you desire have you gunsmith go through it just as you would your Remington 700 and you will have a great shooting rifle with as much stronger action. Keep the .270 for the grand kids

Good luck, Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where is the proof that a Howa action is a "much stronger" action?

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with you Eddie.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe, you have to understand that before you post on this forum you have to genuflect to the resident experts and pay them homage. I have modified your post to read:
quote:
For the same amount of $$$ you can get a barreled action from Howa in the caliber you desire have you gunsmith go through it just as you would your Remington 700 and you will have a great shooting rifle

perhaps they will find this less objectionable!
Please keep posting!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
It was a fairly simple question Peter. Funny that neither you nor Joe has an answer for it.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, from your past posts, I always thought you were the resident BR expert, on this forum.

I also thought it was acceptable to ask, politely, a question concerning any subject posted on this forum. Mea Culpa!

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope! Not me Doc! First let me apologise. I responded to what I thought I detected rather than responding to the actual words used. Mea maxima Culpa!
As to my knowledge...I have 2 BR rifles, one built by Berger (in Ohio, Walt's brother I believe) in 6mm BR. This was in the 90's and based on the advice of Bob Peace as 6mm PPC brass was almost impossible to get. Bob was a wonderful guy and gave me very freely of his time. I have his books. I also subscribed to Precision Shooting for several years. I also have a Rem 40X in 222Rem, (bought through Bob) and rebarrelled by Tooley. At that time there were several active BR shooters at my local range (Gateway R&P Club) who also gave very freely of their time and advice. As time went by they "left the range" or just left. Both rifles required neck turning and trimming so I have all that gear, as well as hand dies for depriming and a straight line seater press etc. etc. Bottom line is that it was an exercise in frustration! I could not duplicate groups and eventually gave up and the guns sit in the safe. I found that I could get very good (but not ultimate) accuracy with a lot less trouble from my Rem 700 HB in 308 and my Savage 110 FP in 223 ( ie. consistent repeatable 1/2 inch groups). Now that I am retired I am ready to take up the challenge again. I have a supply of Starke, berger, JLK and Bruno bullets but have no equipment to load at the range which is what I need to be able to do. I really need a click type powder measure eg. Culver so I don't have to worry about weighing at the range. The piece I am missing is Cauterucio bullets. All my rifles shot best with those. In particular my 308 loved his 150 grain bullets with the "pressure ring". Are they still made?
If you are wondering why the lengthy response it is for my benefit as well as yours! I need to get my behind to the range with these guns. Both are equipped with Weaver 36X scopes which, back then were the cat's meow.
Peter.
PS. As to HTR's original question, I would first ask, what his expectations are. I have a couple of rifles in 300 WM, A Tikka 695, and a Blaser. Both are quite accurate ie. sub 1" groups at 100 yards with 168 grain SMKs, (closer to 1/2 inch but consistently under 1") and under 2" at 200 yards. I have to try these at 300 and up before I can talk about longer ranges. However, at longer ranges, the skill of the shooter at reading flags and judging conditions, is, IMO, just as important as the inherent accuracy of the equipment.
Thats my story and I am sticking to it!

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want us to read it, you need to break it down into paragraphs with white space between them.