New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage replacement stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the best replacement stock for my heavy barreled Savage 223? I mainly shoot off the bench and am planning on taking it prairie dog hunting. I was thinking about one from sharp shooter supply. Thank you.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Personal choice would be the LVT with the rail, comb, and hook options. Probably in black/black/black. I've been looking for a replacment for a factory stock myself. I've been thinking McMillan. Most of my shooting is High power or long range prone.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those McMillans are pricey. Do you get them direct or go through a distributor? I've heard that the wait is substantial.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trentalan34:
What is the best replacement stock for my heavy barreled Savage 223? I mainly shoot off the bench and am planning on taking it prairie dog hunting. I was thinking about one from sharp shooter supply. Thank you.

I recently had my Savage bedded in a Boyds laminated thumbhole varminter. Great for shooting off the bench. We'll see how it does on PDs next week.

My dad told me once that if you're gonna kill a rattler with a chainsaw, use the top of the bar.

Posts: 165 | Location: Seymour, Mo | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Stockade rifle stocks (Kevin Rayhill) are a nice in between Choate and McMillan. They are hand laid fiberglass, come in different styles from Hunter style, Varmit/Tactical, or Bench Rest. He offers custom paint, unfinished, and "Out of Mold". The "out of Mold" requires some body work for those skilled/patient enough.

Stockade also offers extended bolt handles and a "bolt lift kit". The bolt lift kit goes between the bolt assembly screw and the cocking piece and houses a ball bearing to reduce friction when working the bolt. I installed one in all three of my savages. They also rebarrel and will do complete builds.

http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/

I have a .308 10fp in a Prariedog/tactical stock, 26" 1in10 Lothar-Walther barrel, timney trigger, Stockade bolt & bolt lift kit, Ken Farrell 20 MOA base w/Seekins Precision 30MM rings, VX-III 6.5-20x50 LRT.

I Like it.

Posts: 21 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: 20 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Check out Stocky's

http://www.stockysstocks.com/s...tock-tactical/Detail

====================================================
Guerrilla Machinist
Percussa Resurgo * Molon Labe

Posts: 2 | Location: Dover Foxcroft , ME | Registered: 12 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try this outfit. I'm waiting on my 3rd stock from them.http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

I have restocked Savages with Richard Microfit Stocks too. The ones I got from them were closer grained wood, but the SSS stocks really are 99% ready to go.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thought that I would give you all an update. Thanks for the advice; this project has been a while in coming. I went with the B & C varmint/tactical from Stocky's. Part of what took so long was that this was the first time I attempted a bedding job. It turned out pretty good. Groups haven't necessarily shrunk, but I it does ride better in my Caldwell Rock, and it looks a whole lot better. Thanks for the advice, and sorrry for the slow update.