Find
Notify
Tools

Accuracy and Elevation?
 Login/Join

Picture of hoover7
posted
Here's the deal...

I am moving my private rifle range to a new location and I have found the perfect spot....maybe. I will have about 500 yards downrange shooting at the base of a hill. I will be shooting down a slope. The elevation change will be 20ft. from bench to 500 yard target, less as the yardage shrinks.

How will this effect accuracy and should I find a different location?

Posts: 12 | Location: Saluda, SC, USA | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think 20 feet will have any effect on your zero, you gotta get get pretty drastic shooting up hill or down hill to start to worry.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hoover

Why do you think the elevation difference will have any effect whatsoever on accuracy??

Shooting uphill or downhill will have an effect on your point of impact, as RWS said, but a 20 foot difference in elevation from muzzle to target will not result in enough for you to notice. The bullet will always strike higher, BTW.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It won't affect accuracy ANY? It's not going to affect trajectory either, not anything you can measure anyway.

Picture of hoover7
posted Hide Post
Sorry, accuracy was the wrong term....POINT OF IMPACT is what I meant. Thanks for the reassurance guys.

I wanted to ask the experts before I proceeded. I did not want to do alot of work to my range and not be satisfied with it in the longrun!

Posts: 12 | Location: Saluda, SC, USA | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With Quote