Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6 Dasher ??
 Login/Join

posted
I'm thinking of having one made out of my old 308..rem.700 silhouette rifle to shoot P.Dogs with...any pros or cons...
Thanks....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a PD gun, usually there is a need for quite a few rounds. Although a 6 Dasher is good, for the volume, I would stick with a 6BR. A no-turn 6BR. You won't be disappointed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rws is right. Serious dog hunters like to shoot and not waste all winter burning out barrels fireforming wildcats.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as RWS mentioned, 6BR norma is a good medium long range option as there are lots of developed loads for it and it is easy on the barrel throat. You don't have to do a lot of brass forming either. If you buy a barrel from Shilen the no turn chamber is the .272" neck. The dasher is tearing up a lot of 600 and 1000 yard BR matches, but the parent cartridge (6 BR rem --now generally Norma) is going to be more economical and easier to load for.

BTW-- no turn does not mean that you never need even out neck walls--it just means you are not trying to fit the cartridge neck into the chamber like a finger in a glove. The regular rules of precision handloading and neck wall expansion still apply. ALso keep in mind that barrels are still offered in chambering for the 6BR Rem, though Lapua and Norma brass only comes on the 6BR norma size, so don't get them mixed up or you'll be shaving .040" off every case like I have to do to form 22 BR cases.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote