Find
Notify
Tools

6mm long range cartridge
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted
I am dreaming up a project that will take place in the next couple years.

Here in Wyoming we have some very loooooooong range shooting possibilities. We also have wind! These two combine to make long range varmiting dicey some days.

What I want is a 6mm long range cartridge. I am thinking 6PPC or 6BR. I will put a 26" tube on it with a Dakota Will "walking varminter" stock."

I need suggestions on cartridge. I won't be shooting benchrest competitions (unless they start them in my area). Case availability is a priority as well as what is required to load them.

I am a handloading looney but I don't have the time or desire to anneal each case, and fireform everything.

Open to suggestions...

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6BR would work great with 105 bullets. The 6mmBR forum is running test as we speak. Looks like 2950fps with the 105 Berger bullets with fantastic accuracy. Bear in mind that the test is being done with a return to battery rail gun. This takes the poor bag handling problems out of the picture.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If we met out West for loooong range varmint hunting in the wind I would have my .264 WM with me. I have had one since 1961 for really loooong range blasting.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
reverenddan

I think that it would be good to be doing some serious reading at the site if you haven't already.

6MMBR.com

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input thus far.

What about availability of brass, is one better than the other?

What about tricks reloading?

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use 6BR Lupua brass and make sure your smith has a reamer for the Lupua brass as the Remington BR brass is different. Be sure to have it throated for the longer bullets.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Follow Jackie Schmidt's test on 6mmbr forum and it will get you there on loading.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
Recommended gunsmiths that don't charge the price of a new truck?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at www.bryantcustom.com. He is as honest and straight forward as any smith that I have dealt with. He is behind as all good smiths are. Mike is not the only good one, but he always comes to mind.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given that the 6mm XC has won the National Highpower Rifle Championship several times and the National Long Range Championship once, and regularly finishes in the top three every year, I think it would merit your consideration.

http://www.davidtubb.com/6mmxc.html

posted Hide Post
I would go with the 6mm Dasher,its a great round, the only down side if any is maybe some costy dies, but hey it set the 1000yard aggregate record so you know its got that potential, I have one rifle that Fred Sinclair built way back originally in 22BR but I wanted to go Long Range so I rebarreled in Dasher and have been in love with the round, it shoots .9s at 600yards and it really loves the Berger bullets, jammed in the lands of my 5 groove Broughton 1-8 twist barrel, anyway I dont think you would be disappointed with a dasher or a XC there are alot of good 6mm cats out there that can shoot, its just finding the right combo!!

Greg

Posts: 5 | Location: OakRidge, TN | Registered: 11 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent advise given, I am new to 600 yd bench shooting and built a BAT actioned switch barrel. I have 5 barrels but 3 chamberings. 6.5/284, 6BR, and 6 Dasher. The Dasher is still away at the smith so I can`t personally say about it but feel it is gonna sing. I will try 100 CR`s and 105 JLK`s as soon as it arrives. The 6.5 so far has been easiest to shoot for my inexperience. The 142 Sierras really fight the wind well.

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
I go to these 600-1000 yd matches in NY, and all the "Big Boys" shoot 6.5x284s in the Any Rifle classes. The last shoot, a gunsmiths wife shot two perfect 200+20x scores shooting F-class, that's on a rest, prone, with scope. Yep, it was a 6.5x284, and the x ring at 1000 yds is 10" in dia. I think the twist was 1 in 8.5" for 139 gr Low Drag BTs.

Hippie redneck geezer

posted Hide Post
Lanny:
That was my wife, Vanessa. She was using a 6.5-284 built on a Nesika E. The pills where Sierra 142's with H4350, Lapua brass and lit off with CCI Br2's.
She alo has a barrel in 6XC with brass I made from 243 Lapua, but, I'm going with the new Lapua 6.5 X 47 brass to make over the 6mm. David can stick the 6XC brass some place convienent.

Alan

Posts: 29 | Location: NH | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote