Find
Notify
Tools

500-1000 yd rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
if you were building a 500 yd to 100 yd rifle, what caliber and cartridge would you build it on?

50 caliber is out. I am thinking 300 WSM, 338 WM, 338 RUM or 375 RUM

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .408 Chey Tac is the military's solution to this problem, but it is good to 1500 yards.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For hunting deer and coyotes I favor a 264 WM and might rebarrel to it.

Five hundred yards is too far for me on big game. I would shoot at a coyote at and over that range however.

If you mean targets then a 6.5-284 would work from 500 to 1000 yds.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is this going to be a target,varmit or hunting rifle? Alot of good wildcats for 1000yd need alittle more information also may want to go over to http://www.benchrest.com and get on the 1000yd forum.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well...it's certainly not a varmint rifle...probably a combination target hunting rifle...

Wouldn't want it to weight more than 10lbs scoped...

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
None of the calibers suggested in the original posts are particularly well suited for target shooting - too much recoil. A much more sensible compromise would be the 6.5-284 mentioned above.

For the people really involved in long range shooting (check out longrangehunting.com), big cases don't seem to hold much attraction. The lowly .308 Win being one of the more popular rounds. Reason: regardless of which case you choose, you'll have to compensate for elevation at long range. So as long as you can figure out the right amount of compensation (and deal with wind drift), some pretty discrete calibers will do, as long as you ensure they have sufficient target velocity to make a soft nosed bullet expand properly. "Flat shooting" boomers, are primarily an advantage if you don't want to have to bother with elevation adjustments, and they suffer from more recoil, that will make accurate shooting more difficult. Two worlds, really.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think this is what they developed the 338 laupla for.

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me it would have to be the 6.5x284. Next would be the 6.5x300WSM

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
I would agree with butchloc .338 Lapua.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of El_Dodexe
posted Hide Post
I agree with Baboon and butchloc .338 Lapua Mag

Have a great shootin' day

Jeffery's .500 overall

Posts: 61 | Location: Italy - close to Venice | Registered: 17 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of flutedchamber
posted Hide Post
What about the 30-378 Weatherby?? It is flat shooting, has great bullet weight and style selection, and is fairly light.

flutedchamber

NRA LIFE MEMBER

You can trust the government. Look how well they took care of the American Indian...

Posts: 425 | Location: New Jersey The state sucks, but it's better than living in France. | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the new 7mm Allen Mag which is a .338 Lapua neck down to a 7mm shooting 200 grain bullets with extremly high B.C.
You can find out more about this cartridge at

WWW.LONGRANGEHUNTING.COM

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have thought recoil would have been an issue with this type of shooting?

I'm going to build a heavy barreled rifle in 7mmWSM for shooting to 1000 yards using the 162 hornady A-max which has a BC of.625

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm building a 300WSM for 1000-yard work that will weigh nearly 20 pounds; I don't expect much recoil for that much weight. I am unconcerned that it falls outside the weight restrictions for competition; maybe I can shoot exhibition or maybe there is some class in which weight doesn't matter. This rifle ain't fer huntin' and it ain't much fer carryin' 'round, neither.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
Tumbo you may be on the right track. I looked at results on local 1000 yd match from a week ago and a guy with a 7mm wsm whipped all the 6.5-284's. I'm not biased.......I shoot both rounds in hunting rigs.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rootbeer:
I'm building a 300WSM for 1000-yard work that will weigh nearly 20 pounds; I don't expect much recoil for that much weight. I am unconcerned that it falls outside the weight restrictions for competition; maybe I can shoot exhibition or maybe there is some class in which weight doesn't matter. This rifle ain't fer huntin' and it ain't much fer carryin' 'round, neither.

rootbeer

That rifle can be shot in the Heavy Gun Class at both 600 and 1000 yard NBRSA. The Palomino Valley Gun Club has about 5 matches a year but they may be done for the summer. Get hold of Randy Dierks and he can tell you the dates. You'll like it. Smiler

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
Egad? .338 Lapua?! For a 10lb or less carry rifle? Dude- a US sniper killed a guy in Iraq at 1300 yards with a .308 Win. It shouldn't have any problems with a coyote. You'd be hard pressed to find a gunsmith that doesn't have a .308 or even .308 tight neck reamer.

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would go with 300WSM, its stout enough to 1000, recoil is hardly more than a 308 imo, easy to reload and they have alot of selected ammo on the market if not a reloader, if you dont need the high FPS just download a little, but if you want something low and flat, shoot some 155's at 3500fps or some 190's at 2900, the 300WSM is a versitile round, im glad they created it!It can pretty much down anything in North America when loaded right!

Greg

Posts: 5 | Location: OakRidge, TN | Registered: 11 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
For long range shooting, the 284/6.5 is tough to beat these days for a lot of load development has been done and it is a steady repeat winner at such matches. As for killing varmints at these ranges, not a problem in the least. The rock solid 308 has and still does a very fine job at these ranges and does so without much punishment to the shooter and w/ quite good barrel life.
There has been and are as we speak many a "bad guy" snuffed out there at the 1K mark with the 308. Good ones will hold 1/2 moa at 1000 yds and a five inch group a those ranges is outstanding. The big magnums definitely have a distinct advantage at extreme ranges but recoil, barrel life, cost of shooting, etc. also are negatives that go along with these high performance rounds. Check out the stats of the 300 Win Mag w/ 9 twist, 30" barrel, Sierra 250 grain Match King bullets. If you must use a magnum, this one definitely will work!! Just a suggestion

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php
Ask these guys, they do some serious longrange shooting.

Posts: 148 | Location: Currently located in Southern New Mexico | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Anohter recent 1000 yd round that has gained a following is the humble 22-250 with 80-88 gr VLD bullets. Beware the twist rates, though. Go with 7" or faster.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, a 260 rem with 140grainers of good construction (BC and construction)will be supersonic at 1000 meters, economical, easy to the shoulder, and quite adequate for small to medium game.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I am going to convert my savage in 300 WSM to my long range rifle. I may switch to a laminated stock for it so I have a bit more weight.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
My favorite for this stuff is the 30/378, 30inch tube by Rock Creek with a Richards wildcat stock.
Loading 115 grns of h870 with a 180 grn ballistic tip.Work your load up slow and learn how to dope out wind and I think you will be satisfied with the results.Let me know.
Big Don

Posts: 40 | Location: Scio, Or. | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote