THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BENCHREST AND TARGET SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Benchrest & Target Shooting    6x47 versus 6XC in Rem 700 Short Action

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6x47 versus 6XC in Rem 700 Short Action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Some of you may recall that this and other recent discussions are in regard to a hunter class silly wet rifle I am building that I will also hunt Coyotes with.

I have all but abandoned the 25 cal since there appears to be some 6mm's that have umph without being barrel burners, and the brass is relatively easy to work with. 6.5 is a little more than what I want since my kids will be using this rifle as well and it is too heavy IMHO for taking fur.

At this time I am considering the 6x47 Lapau or the 6XC in a 26" barreled Rem 700 Short Action. Long Action is not an option due to wanting to put the weight in the barrel and optics.

The way I see it, the XC (50gr capacity) offers the best velocities, but SSS recomends a center feed mag box, and I might have to have the OAL shorter than optimal which may compromise the cartridge and its ballistics a bit, but I am guessing here. The Lapau (45.8gr capacity) is shorter and may feed better in my short action, but is slower and uses a small primer that might be an issue in very cold temps (possible -40F for Coyotes). The Lapua Improved is most likely not an option since I don't want to fireform.

I will be using 111gr or 115gr match bullets as fast as I can get them with a case life of 10 firings. I will also be using 65gr varmint bullets backed off a bit so I don't blow up fur too badly @ around 3,375fps mv.

Thoughts?

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
Since the coyote shooting will take place in very cold temps, the XC is the best option IMO. The Lapua may work though if you open the flash holes to standard diameter.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote