THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BENCHREST AND TARGET SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Benchrest & Target Shooting    Closed circuit tv camera for watchin targets

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Closed circuit tv camera for watchin targets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bushwackr
posted
Hi

I am trying to find a security type camera setup so I can look a my 1000yd target with out getting on the 4 wheeler and looking after 5 shots found a bunch of camera setups but they only have a distance of 100yds . Is there anyone that is made for this or should I just buy a telescope and do it that way?

"If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
- Ted Nugent -

Posts: 55 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 18 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I am not aware of any common/readily available spotting scope that will permit the viewing of the target/bullet holes at 1000 yards? Would not need target pits, target pullers, etc. if such a system were readily available. Nikon at one time offered a video camera/viewer that when combined with their spotting scope could record the images, but still depending on the target being serviced and spotters being used to determine hits. I use a Kowa 77 scope, one of the better ones on the market, some out there are even better, but again, do not think a spotting scope is available that will do what you want to do. Perhaps there is something out there and sure someone will tell us.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call a security system company near you. Tell them you need a security camera that for a remote location that will be 3000 feet from the recorder. They probably have some sort of booster for the signal then you only have to worry about the power supply. Unless your range has an outlet near the targets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a thread along the same lines with a link to a new solution;
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php...2/page/1#Post2014142

Posts: 192 | Location: USA | Registered: 29 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If your in an area with cell phone coverage, somesort of webcam working off a laptop would probably be the answer...

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Problem with having a remote transmitter out there, so very far from where you are, is that some punk kid on a motorcycle or ATV can come along and ride off with your camera or that suggested laptop. Few of us have several thousand acres upon which the public at large is prohibited to set foot. I have a massive dry lake just a few miles from me. I have wanted to go out there and shoot 1,000 yards at night (when it's cool and calm) with a small generator and contractors' lights illuminating the targets. But people are out there at night, driving around in their big-tired Fords and Chevys. Wouldn't be anything for them to snatch up my generator and lights long before I ever got there to defend my property-- something that would require firearms out there at that time of night...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
Problem with having a remote transmitter out there, so very far from where you are, is that some punk kid on a motorcycle or ATV can come along and ride off with your camera or that suggested laptop. Few of us have several thousand acres upon which the public at large is prohibited to set foot. I have a massive dry lake just a few miles from me. I have wanted to go out there and shoot 1,000 yards at night (when it's cool and calm) with a small generator and contractors' lights illuminating the targets. But people are out there at night, driving around in their big-tired Fords and Chevys. Wouldn't be anything for them to snatch up my generator and lights long before I ever got there to defend my property-- something that would require firearms out there at that time of night...

Then you just need someone to stay near your equipment to protect it. Also post some signs: DANGER - FIRING RANGE IN OPERATION!

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Here's a system you can run of off a couple of 12VDC batteries. You'll have to provide the Video camera and monitor but it would be the basis of a good 300 yard system.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/....html#specifications

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try this www.prosecuritywarehouse.com/target.htlm they have a add in percision shooting,
long range target observation system

Posts: 82 | Location: az | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
Wouldn't be anything for them to snatch up my generator and lights long before I ever got there to defend my property-- something that would require firearms out there at that time of night...

Hehehe, correct me if i am wrong, if you are that far away and able to hit your target, wouldn't someone be crazy to try and steal your gear, think about it Wink.

Paz

458AR & 500AR owner (yes it is done dancing )
12GFH in the pipeline(but not a real one, just a "mini one"!!
The single shot on fine and beautiful lines built by a master craftsman is indeed a gentleman's piece...
Colonel Townsend Whelen

Posts: 105 | Location: N.S.W. Australia | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Sorry but it sounds like an all-around bad idea to me. First, a brightly lit spot in the middle a vast public dry lake bed with guns going off will draw the curious like moths to a flame.

A lot folks out that time of night will be kids drinking or worse. The chance of a vehicle or 4 wheeler crossing the line of fire is not that remote. Some of them may not be such nice people as you suggest. I doubt they'd charge into the line of fire to steal a light or camera but they might hang back in the dark waiting; which makes them vulnerable to a possible ricochet. Or even faked property damage.

Looks like more liability than the effort is worth, at night at least. Might be different in the day when you have full visual command of your peripherals.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I saw a show on the history channel,extreme marksman,where a sniper team was shooting at 1000 yds,and the spotter was calling the shots at that distance with a spotting scope.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hehehe, correct me if I am wrong, if you are that far away and able to hit your target, wouldn't someone be crazy to try and steal your gear, think about it.

Stupid is as stupid does, you know. A crook wouldn't think that far into your question...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote