Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with HB .308 Rem 700
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted
Friend of mine is having a problem with his Rem 700 in .308 with a factory heavy barrel. He gets pretty good groups at 100 yards of about 3/4", but at 200 yards, groups really open up to like 3-4". What gives?

And this is in calm conditions using sand bagged rests and various loads.

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What reticle does his scope have and what target is he using?

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What bullet is he using? If he is using heavy bullets (above 180gr) he may be losing some stability. Most 308s are 1 in 12 twist. Heavy, long 30 caliber bullets really like a 1 in 10 twist.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
is he shooting the same loads? many people mix factory loads with different bullet weights and styles and fully expect them loads to print the same, this just doesn''t work.. rule of thumb is to double your 100 yards group and thats what you should do at 200 yds. many people can shot great and blow this out of the water but it holds every true for the average shooters. bench technic is super important your striveing for CONSINTANCEY, with all due respect it could be manny things, shot more , More Often...jjmp

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sonofagun:
Friend of mine is having a problem with his Rem 700 in .308 with a factory heavy barrel. He gets pretty good groups at 100 yards of about 3/4", but at 200 yards, groups really open up to like 3-4". What gives?

And this is in calm conditions using sand bagged rests and various loads.

Parallax! Not sure if I spelled it right! Although it would seem to make sense that a 3/4" group at 100 yds. should give 1.5" groups at 200 yds., but that rarely seems to happen with any of my groups. Double the distance and the wind, atmospheric conditions, technique, mirage etc. all help to open the groups a bit. I would guess that with all other things being equal (same shooter, same ammo, same bench, same rests etc.) you may have a parallax problem. You didn't mention what scope you were using. Does it have an adjustable objective? If so, check the manual on their procedure for adjusting the A.O. for different distances.

Fouling! Clean between groups.

Bullet weight vs twist! You didn't mention bullets and weights. It may be that your shooting a weight too much or too little for the twist of the barrel.

Trigger pull weight! A 7 pound pull may not bother you much at 100 but will double the error between the intended point of impact and where the crosshairs were when it finally went off. Without a somewhat high magnification scope you may not be able to see the difference.

And last but not least! Welcome to the accuracy addiction! You have started down a long and narrow path filled with sleepless nights, magic recipes and the quest for the One Hole Holy Grail! It's a long and arduous path that no one I know has found the end of but we all spend plenty of time following.

Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

I can't decide if I shoot to load, or load to shoot! The line between the two is very thin!

Posts: 48 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspect the bullet weight. My Rem 700 HB shoots best with 150gr, bullets. I believe that they came in 2 different twist rates.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote