Find
Notify
Tools

Biathlon
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
Does anyone know of a person who is knowledgeable about Biathlon shooting and lives in Texas?

The station I work for wants to do a live interview at a range in near Houston sometime during the Olympics.

I called the national Biathlon.com folks and to my horror they said there wasn't anyone and did not offer any suggestions or assistance.

When the opportunity for some good media coverage comes along, no one is interested.

Oh well!

If any of you have a source or ideas please contact me directly at rkmojo@aol.com or rknight@kprc.com

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"national Biathlon.com"
Geez Rusty, have you tried the Winter Olympics Committee or some such group? Might be a bit late as most of these folks are probably in Vancouver already. I will try to do a search as well. Might strike out in Texas though.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty I found this link:

http://wintergames.ap.org/biat...04-88a1-d0913b2d075c

you can identify the USA athletes by the flag and perhaps Google them.
Still looking, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And this:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/tea...263256.html#biathlon

Identifies the athlete and the state.
No one from Texas though.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Peter,
Thank you for your efforts.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No problem Rusty. What would we do without Google or the other search engines?!!!
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good coverage of Biathlon today (Saturday). Maybe about 15-20 minutes. Women's 7.5K I believe. Did not show much "on the course" skiing, but did show quite a bit of shooting and skiing around the "loop". Clearly speed is of the essence and I saw NO regular bolt action rifles. All were of the Izmash style action, except MUCH slicker than my 22mag action. These folks were just flicking their thumb to cycle the action. As I understand it, the first time around they shoot prone, and all subsequent times they shoot standing. A miss incurs a penalty of one lap (ski round again), roughly 30 seconds, so quite a penalty. I did see several misses though. A lot of fun to watch and very exciting. On again tomorrow.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Yep I have enjoyed the coverage of the biathlon on Tuesday as well. I love the target being put into the picture as well. I think it was well done.

What really surprised me was the fact that the most favorite sports figures men and women in Germany were biathlon athletes!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's huge in northern Europe.
They are getting SO FIT a few years back the competitors would collapse over the finish line, nearly sick with exhaustion. Now they can remain upright and even speak a few words.
It's an awesome sport, try running a couple of hundred yards then hit 5 beer can ends at 50yards.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's cross-country skiing and 22 cal. rifle target shooting. The US Army used to have a team at Ft. Richardson in Anchorage, AK.

During the "no snow" months they trained on bicycles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
OXO, why not run? There is a summer version of this (I think) that entails x country running. I am surprised that some of the US Alpine units (Mountain Division?) don't compete.
Peter