THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BENCHREST AND TARGET SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Benchrest & Target Shooting    Trying to decide which cartridge for new benchrest gun

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to decide which cartridge for new benchrest gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm building a benchrest gun on a savage model 12 action. This will be for 300 meter shooting. Right now I'm trying to decide between 7mmTCU, 250TCU, 257 Roberts, and 7x57. Will the TCU's perform well at 300 yards out of a rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not aware of any of these being benchrest calibers.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your choices of calibers is a clear indication that you really do not want a true bench gun. You are looking for something that will serve multiple purposes and have better than moderate accuracy to have fun. There is only one true benchrest caliber if you are meanigfully competitive. The 6mmPPC.........if you are serious.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with 30378. Having said that, the 6mmBR with a twist rate suitable for 105 grain bullets has provded itself to be a formidable long range performer.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
perhaps redefining the plan a bit might help. 300 meters does not sound like a "benchrest" rifle per se. Are you talking FT-R style rifle?

Boys, have you heard the 30BR is T-H-E most successful cartridge for VFS? And cast bullet shooting as well.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle is for casual competition between friends. I am only interested in .284 and .257 calibers.

One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
Since you won't consider using other calibers, then my suggestion would be a 25BR. Randy Robinett makes some new 25 bullets that are supposed to be of excellent quality. The 7mm's will provide too much recoil to be the best choice if only shooting out to 300. The 7 TCU doesn't have too much recoil, but the bullets will have to bounce a couple times to get there.Wink Thing is that there are MANY more bullet choices in 6mm, that you will be limiting yourself with the 25. Friendly competition or not, you do want to win don't you?

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I not only want to win i don't want to use the same cartridges as my friends.

one of us
posted Hide Post
7BR

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1
7br

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since it turns out there would be a wait of up to 3 months to get a barrel I went with what Midway had in stock. 6.5x47lapua 26" everything for it should be here later this week.

One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerkface11:
Since it turns out there would be a wait of up to 3 months to get a barrel I went with what Midway had in stock. 6.5x47lapua 26" everything for it should be here later this week.

Not a bad choice at all. I think you will be a happy camper.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6BRX

one of us
posted Hide Post
Highpower, how about some information on this (6BRX)? Can you point me in the right direction?
Thanks, peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
www.6mmbr.com has an article on the 6mmbr improved cartridges 6mmbrx is the second one mentioned.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I am familiar with the Dasher, but not the 6BRX.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some bloke in England shot a 2.67" group of ten from 1,000 using a 7mm WSM case with, I think, a 6.5mm bullet necked into it. As far as I know (which ain't sayin' much) that's still the world's record...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since 6MMPPC is the standard by wich all is judged I guess you are into a personal precision on a cartridge that starts as more accurate than the others in general performance.

I have had great precision on the 257 roberts and it is very cheap to load with many bullets avaialble.

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the matches I like to attend is one held every fall in Kamloops BC. This is a 300 meter match fired on the ISSF target. They shoot both "F" class and TR (think "Palma type"). The course of fire consists of 5-15 shot matches. Winners of individual matches will generally post a 150-12x or better. In the "F" class, 95% of the rifles are 6mm BR's. There usually a couple of 6.5's and I've been using a 308 (I won last year but not by enough of a margin to be too satisfying).
I think a properly built 6.5x47 would work well. A 6PPC set up to shoot heavier bullets would too.Any moderate capacity 30 caliber should work. The 7BR should do as should a 7x47. In fact, a 7x47 shooting a good 140 grain bullet might be a real winner.
When it comes right down to it though, it's pretty hard to beat those 6BR's. Out of sheer obstinance I have avoided shooting my own BR at this match but I think it might be easier to win with it than any other except, perhaps, the 308 I used last year.
The rifles which are capable of winning are capable of shooting ten shot groups of about 3/8 moa or better at 300 meters. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote