Find
Notify
Tools

Scope recommendations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys!

I have a Remy40X chambered in .222. It sits in an original Rangemaster stock and has a barrel set up by Ed Shilen sometime in the late 60s. I don't do a lot of benchrest. I have actually hunted deer and been to a couple prairie dog shoots. I am looking for a new scope and am interested in ya'lls opinions. I have looked at a couple fine reticles with the dot in the middle, but find the dot covers too much of the critter. Fine crosshairs are often too fine and I have trouble seeing them. Suggestions?

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know what to recommend for that precision setup if you can't see fine crosshairs. The only alternative I see would be an illuminated reticule. Not as precise, but easier to see. Not sure I would recommend the 222 for deer though.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fine crosswires with a very small dot. i.e. my favorite is 1/8 minute hairs with a 1/4 min dot. it will fade out of poor light, but what an aiming point

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have killed 6 whitetails one shot each with this .222. I am very selective with the conditions and shot placement. Less than 200yds and head shots or spine shots in the neck. I would not recommend this cartridge as a starter for whitetail, either. I am very confident with this rifle, but dislike the current scope-10x42 SuperSniper.

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy, I have the Super Sniper in 20X. I find the cross hairs to be very bold.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duplex reticle is fine in the center, heavier at the edges. Heavy edges allow you to bracket the target. Duplex is particularly well suited to heavy cover where a fine crosshair gets lost in the foliage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A heavy duplex is good for hunting, but fine crosshairs or fine crosshairs with an 1/8" MOA dot is better for target shooting. I wouldn't think there is one scope that will do it all. You could buy a 10-60 power March, but most people won't spend $2600+ for one.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

I probably wouldn't spend that much either! Never ever heard of March?

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
March is the hot thing in competition shooting. They are available in 40x, 45x, and 50x in fixed power. They are available in 1x-10x, 5x-25x, 10x-60x, 38x-55x in variable power. They are bullet proof. They are produced by Deon Optics of Japan and distributed in the USA by Kelblys the maker of the Stolle receivers. They use ED quality camera type lenses.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
but find the dot covers too much of the critter. Fine crosshairs are often too fine and I have trouble seeing them. Suggestions?

Andy B

Small Circle (hollow dot) in the center of the crosshairs, seems like your answer.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
DSC

Distinguished Service Cross, DuggaBoye? If so, I wish to Thank You for your service to our country...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote