styer ssg rotary mag problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i have a styer ssg 69
it has a rotary mag (3 of them)
gun is fine except the rotary mags are crap
they work with nice brass or nickel plated
but with any surplus or copper wash 100% jam rate and cold weather +20 f they are impossible
i dont need pinpoint accuracy as i use this gun for offhand shooting at bigger targets like clay pidgeons or paper plates, so i like surplus as it is good enough for this an i dont have to reload.
QUESTION is is ther anything you can do to the mags to make them work slicker or is ther any other mag available

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 393 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had a single malfunction of any kind. Never used anything but new factory hunting ammo...

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It most probably not a problem of the magazines but of the plastic frame where they are inserted. It's a well know problem of the Steyrs, and not only the SSG69.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think if the mag were some kind of metal it would work . definately a serious problem, someone at styer should fix

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 393 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an old Steyr L heavy barelled 243win (that is at least 30 years old)and a Pro Hunter in 223Rem. The only magazine problem I've had is with the 243win where a crack appeared in the transparaent panel at the rear. Warranty replacement was not a problem. BUT after cleaning rifles for a good number of years I had brain lapse and sprayed the chamber with an aerosol cleaner with he mag still in position. The spray just about dissolved the mag. Learnt that lesson really well, cause t took nearly 9 months to get a replacement delivered to Australia.

Posts: 161 | Location: Australia | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Other than having the catch on the magazine that holds it in the gun brake, and a few fellas dropping loaded magazines on concrete they worked pretty good for us.

But I will say I liked the 10 rounder the best.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote