Find
Notify
Tools

B-36
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
This was an amazing plane, but I hear the pusher mount for the engines made the carbs ice up, leading to engine fires. That's Jimmy Stewart in some of those shots, probably wishing to heck he was back on the stick again ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...ature=endscreen&NR=1

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
When I was a teenager growing up in Louisville,Ms a red marked one flew directly over my house coming from the east going to the west. Those big 6 prop engines made a sound so unique once heard you never forgot. I made up many fantasies about the missions of the plane. It was every Wednesday in the morning and you could set your watch by it. Have no idea where it was coming from and even less idea where it was going I just know it made for many dreams of a teenager watching it pass. I logged many hours in that 36.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful airplane.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This how B-36s were towed out the door in Ft Worth. The building was not tall enough for the tail.

One summer about 2 in the afternoon it was still and hot. I noticed I could hear something faint in the distance. It was slowly getting louder. Eventually it sounded like this.
Rower row rower row rower row.

I think the props were out of sync.
Anyway after a few minutes I spotted a tiny dot high above. It looked like it was barely moving.
I could not see it well enough to know what it was but I knew what it was from the sound.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have an old 8mm film my Father took, while he was flying in a B-36, in formation

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote