THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AVIATION FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Aviation    Good News For British Aviation Heritage...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good News For British Aviation Heritage...
 Login/Join

posted
British aviation enthusiasts have realised their goal to get Avro Vulcan XH558 air worthy again.
Vulcan Flight

When it retired, the Vulcan held the world record for the longest operational bombing runs in history, the so called Black Buck runs made during the Falklands War...

A stalwart from the early days of the Cold War, the Vulcan was one of three long range "V" Bombers designed to carry Britains nuclear deterrent prior to the switch to Polaris subs.

But thanks to the neglect of our Labour Government, when these planes were retired, no effort was made to preserve even one in flying condition and this was left to enthusiasts to do....

A truly magnificent machine of the same era as your B52...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had the honour of one of the best views of a Vulcan. I was sitting in a tinnie in Darwin harbour when one flew straight at me at about 100 feet up. VERY impressive.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
I saw one of these slow rolled in front of 100,000+ people at the Offutt AFB Airshow in the late 1970's. I was changing film in my camera at the time and did not get a picture of it upside down in front of the control tower.

I'm sure that someone out there has that shot. It was truly a great machine.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 840 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's great news. I flew out of the UK quite a bit during the late 80's and the early 90's, having spent a lot of time across the irish Sea hauling newspapers into Shannon from Liverpool, sitting standby for oil spill spray missions out of Luton, and also many trips out of Mildenhall down to Italy and Turkey. I really admire the way the Brits have preserved your aviation heritage and was a frequent visitor to the Imperial War Museum at Duxford. Got a great ride on a twin-engined DeHavilland cabin biplane there.

The Vulcan is an impressive aircraft. it's great that it is being preserved.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Was it a staggered wing biplane?

If it was, then I think it was a DH Dragon Rapide. I flew in it (as a tourist passenger) back in the mid 80's

The significant thing I remembered about Duxford was not the great collection, but they had an actual US manufactured coffee maker in the little restaurant there!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is one Parked at Castle AFB Atwater California, they got an SR-71 parked there to and a whole bunch of other airplanes and helicopters. Even a couple of airframes I have stick time in. First Vulcan I ever saw was when I was a kid, real young, and the Movie "Thunderball" I would still rather have the airplanes in flyable storage than my martini shaken not stired.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote