THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AVIATION FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Aviation    FAA Medical examiners UPDATED
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FAA Medical examiners UPDATED
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
A letter I just sent to the Obamist in charge at Okla City....and these assholes on the D side want the feds to take over our health care system.

August 26, 2011

Warren S. Silberman, D.O.
Manager
Aerospace Medical Certification Division
Civil Aerospace Medica Institute
P.O. Box 26080
Oklahoma City, OK 73125-9914

Re: William Berlat, PIA 0474221

Dear Dr. Silberman:

Congratulations, bravo! You, and your agency, have earned the pinnacle of achievement award for inefficiency, incompetence and ineptness. You should take great pride in doing your level best to work with the Obama administration in destroying any confidence the public has in its federal agencies.

I had my FAA examination for the renewal of my 2nd class medical certificate June 13, 2011 with Dr. Frayser, in Payson, Arizona, 74 days ago!

I was told that I passed but that the FAA would want to see the results of my angiogram taken earlier this year and would send me a letter requesting same. I did not wait (thankfully) for your request; I obtained that report, which was negative, and mailed it in.

Today, 74 days after my exam I received a letter from you (not even with your signature on it, to much to expect, I guess) requesting visual reports and information.

I had a visual field test done, even though the one done at Dr Fraser’s office was fine, and will mail it in this week, along with the completed form that came with it.

Lord knows how long it will take for this to be reviewed.

With regret, and with a sense of shame for what our federal agencies have come to......

William Berlat

cc: Robert L. Frayser, D.O.
Rep. Paul Gosar

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
One of two things will happen, you will never fly again or you just scared the s--- out of them and your medical will be here next week.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 840 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Paper work?

What paperwork?

Paper work from billinthewild . . .

Nah we didn't get "No steenkin paperwork"!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Berlot

I am sorry to hear your experience was unsatisfactory, but I think your anger is misdirected.

Firstly, Dr Silberman, Dr Fred Tilton (the current Federal Air surgeon) and many of the other employees have been at the medical certification branch long before Obama. They have no political allegiance to the current or any other administration, but like most government agencies they are limited by the funding decisions of your congress. Most of the FAA staff had the summer off, thanks to your lawmakers who elected not to fund the FAA during July and August. Your 74 day decision is amazingly quick, considering much of that time no one was working.

Secondly, your AME Dr Frayser, appears not to be pilot friendly. It is his obligation to determine if you qualify, and to issue you the medical certificate if you do. Assuming he issued, you are good to go, even if the FAA is reviewing. Whether he issued or deferred, if there are questions he should have supplied you with a detailed algorithm with all of the information that the FAA would need when they review the reasons for your angiogram. The FAA encourages AME's to do this, and supplies lists and forms to expedite that. They also encourage AME's to submit that information with the initial exam to expedite reviews. When that information is submitted after the initial exam, it gets lower priority and takes much longer for the clerical workers to put together the various papers with the initial exam so that a decision can be made. (You also should have labeled every document with your PI number, your social security number, your birth date and your name) If he felt he could not issue, then rather than defer, he should have made a call to his Regional Flight surgeon to obtain a decision before this review process. That way, it really doesn't matter if it takes 6 months to review, you are still good to go.

Had the initial exam been complete and included the visual field as is required by the FAA, the FAA would not have requested that information. The AME is responsible to enter that into the Oklahoma computer record. You should look to your AME rather than the FAA for the apparently incomplete exam.

The FAA grades their AME's, and Dr Frayser will get an incomplete for an exam that did not have the Visual Field information. If he has several of those, he may be required to have additional training before he is allowed to continue to do the exams. In our area, we are down from about 12 examiners 20 years ago to just 4 now. There are multiple reasons, but most docs do not do this full time, and are tired of being hassled by pilots who don't bother to look up or comply the requirements and then complain when they haven't done what is required to obtain the medical.

Dr Tilton and Dr Silberman have done wonders with the AASI program to grant issuance to pilots who would have been denied in the past. Remember, there are 15 disqualifying conditions that congress has set, it is on the Federal Air Surgeon to grant special issuance if you have one of those. I have met them both, and spoken to them on numerous occasions when questions have occurred. They are pilots first, and are approachable, personable, passionate, dedicated individuals who work their butts off to see that every pilot who can qualify does so. They have improved the situation for pilots tremendously in spite of changing administrations and funding fiasco's like this summer. Your disparaging remarks are uncalled for.

I have never worked at the FAA, but I am a pilot and have been an AME for over 30 years. I suggest you find an AME who is a pilot and is willing to follow the FAA directives. It will save you a lot of hassle in the future. You might also look at the FAA.Gov website, Under >> license and certification>>medical certification>>information on specific medical conditions. This will give you the information you need to be prepared for your next medical. If you and your AME do things correctly, you will be amazed at the promptness of the FAA.

Sorry for the rant, I understand you are frustrated, but I really think you missed the mark with your criticism.

Roger R, MD
AME 15392-4

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well you should not have sent that letter. If I gotten something like that I would put your file at the bottom of the pile and keep it there. When I when for my first FAA Medical I was rejected for eyesight, I wrote a very nice letter to Audie W. Davis, he was the guy then 1975 for a request to issue a SODA. He wrote back asking for some documentation that my eye doctor filled out, I sent it back to Oke City and in due time I gotten a letter back and in it a Class II Medical and a SODA. I still have the SODA thou its not required any more. The Medical Branch is a very busy place, it takes time since there are some 600000 FAA medicals around. As I recall it took around 100 days from start to finish. This was 1975 when I started. Also get yourself a pilot friendly Flight Surgeon. Mine is a retired USAF Col. Dose exams in the back of his hanger, you walk by his V-35 Beech Bonanza. Good guy.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
R.Roger....you are far off the mark in your defense of this incompetence. My doctor did a complete exam including a visual field which I passed; he is also an active pilot and very pilot friendly. The reason the certificate was not then issued was due to the FAA wanting to see the record of my angiogram (based on the call he made to them that very day) which was immediately sent and was negative. Your chastizing my doctor is uncalled for since you have no knowledge of the facts relating to my exam. Just whose butt are you kissing in this misplaced defense of an agency that has little or no regard for the public they are called upon to serve. I note that you are an AME which makes your defense of this agency and its employees without full knowledge of the facts surprising and without merit. Just who the devil are you to come to conclusions of what took place based upon your guess as to what was done or should have been done, or what was or was not filed.

I cannot believe you would be so eager to come to the defense of such blatant incompetence and have the unmitigated gall to try to then place the blame for this on a competent and active AME. Dr Frayser did all that was required of him; the ball was dropped by the FAA. Your criticism of him, and me for that matter, without even knowing all the facts, and worse yet, your making meritless assumptions as to what did or did not take place, is uncalled for and calls into question your motivation and your judgement.

I find it interesting that so many are so willing to put up with such poor treatment at the hands of government employees. I believe the reason some federal employees and agencies are so insensitive in dealing with the public they serve is that many are willing to accept of such conduct without holding them accountable. I will not.

Mr. Semel....bottom of the pile? The laggards who work for the feds are rarely, if ever, called to answer for their insensitivity
in dealing properly with the public to whom they have a duty to serve. You mention that you wrote to someone and he wrote you back.... I did not receive that courtesy. Silberman did not even have the courtesy to sign the letter I finally received after 74 days of waiting for a response.

I have held pubic office, and I never treated the public that I served with such utter disregard. It is totally unacceptable to me for any public official or agency to fail to respond within a reasonable period of time, and especially if they have a need for additional information before making a decision.

Far to many are willing to sit back and take whatever the government does or does not do without comment. I am not of that nature. The purpose of my letter posted on this thread was to alert others of us who fly to what may be expected from the FAA.

74 days to receive the first communication regarding the request for additional information is not defensible and should not be tolerated.

I stand by my comments.

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Berlat

Your AME may be a pilot, and he may be a nice guy, but according to your statements, he clearly DID NOT follow FAA procedures. It is his job to issue if you meet the standards, and defer or deny if you do not. Since you reported no certificate was issued, I assume you do not meet the standards. At that point, he should have submitted your exam to the FAA with the necessary documentation for the FAA to consider a special. You reported he told you the FAA would need to review your angiogram, and you did not wait for a request but sent it in yourself. He should not have submitted your exam without a copy of the angiogram and all records pertaining to the events leading to that procedure. Your statements indicate he did not do his job!!!

The visual information is entered into your Oklahoma city record by the AME. It is the AME's job to determine if you meet the standards, not the FAA's. If your record has the information entered correctly, it is never reviewed by people and it would not have been flagged by the computer. By asking for that test result, the record is saying that your AME did not enter the information correctly, or did not recognize that you do not meet the standard. They are telling you that the AME did not do his job!!!

I agree there are many government agencies that are slow, inefficient and arrogant, the FAA medical certification division is not one of them. You and every other pilot should be very thankful that individuals like Dr Silberman choose to work for pilots, both GA and corporate, to promote air safety and keep as many pilots current as possible. Your anger should be directed at your lawmakers who sent over 5000 FAA employees (including the medical certification division) home this summer while they withheld funding.

RogerR

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogerR:
Mr Berlat

Your AME may be a pilot, and he may be a nice guy, but according to your statements, he clearly DID NOT follow FAA procedures. It is his job to issue if you meet the standards, and defer or deny if you do not. Since you reported no certificate was issued, I assume you do not meet the standards. At that point, he should have submitted your exam to the FAA with the necessary documentation for the FAA to consider a special. You reported he told you the FAA would need to review your angiogram, and you did not wait for a request but sent it in yourself. He should not have submitted your exam without a copy of the angiogram and all records pertaining to the events leading to that procedure. Your statements indicate he did not do his job!!!

The visual information is entered into your Oklahoma city record by the AME. It is the AME's job to determine if you meet the standards, not the FAA's. If your record has the information entered correctly, it is never reviewed by people and it would not have been flagged by the computer. By asking for that test result, the record is saying that your AME did not enter the information correctly, or did not recognize that you do not meet the standard. They are telling you that the AME did not do his job!!!

I agree there are many government agencies that are slow, inefficient and arrogant, the FAA medical certification division is not one of them. You and every other pilot should be very thankful that individuals like Dr Silberman choose to work for pilots, both GA and corporate, to promote air safety and keep as many pilots current as possible. Your anger should be directed at your lawmakers who sent over 5000 FAA employees (including the medical certification division) home this summer while they withheld funding.

RogerR

Once again you make unwarranted assumptions. He called the FAA while I was there and followed their instructions and procedures as to how to proceed. They told him I was to wait for a letter from them requesting the angiogram records, an examination he had nothing to do with and records he did not have access to. Rather than delay it further, I obtained the records and sent them in. He not only did his job, he proceeded exactly as he was instructed to proceed by the medical records office.

Nothing excuses their delay in responding to me.

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the only thing you will be flying for awhile will be a kite fishing

There is nothing as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Posts: 265 | Location: south texas | Registered: 30 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
""he proceeded exactly as he was instructed to proceed by the medical records office""

That seems unlikely since there is not and never has been a "medical records office" at the AMCD (aeromedical certification division of the FAA). Over 10 years ago they instituted a DIWS (document image workflow system)that is basically an electronic record and closed their file room. Your AME enters data from your exam from his office. The original 8500-8 with your signature and any records received in the mail are scanned into that computer and available to the reviewers who process ~2000 exams daily. Your file exists in electronic form, there are no "records" to have a room for.

As I said earlier, current FAA policy is for your AME to call his regional flight surgeon with any medical questions or to ask for an approval for a special. For medical questions from an AME in Arizona, that call should have gone to Dr Stephen Goodman over in LA, Ca. Your AME should call AMCD in Oklahoma if there is a procedural or paperwork question.

Like all branches of government, the AMCD is about documentation. In fact, , in its directions to airmen the FAA encourages airmen to bring all records of any medical testing or treatment to their AME at the time of the medical. Their policy is to have the AME submit all records at the time the exam is sent in. That policy is in the AME handbook, and is emphasized at every training seminar and in every issue of the Bulletin. Delays occur when that policy is not followed. If as you claim, your AME was told to submit a deferred exam without the associated documentation to process it, that would be illogical and against their published policies. Most AME's would have said, "that doesn't make any sense, lets get all the records and submit them with this exam so they can make a decision and get you flying."

You seem to be frustrated by the time it took the FAA to respond, and by the AMCD policy of sending out correspondence without Dr Silberman's signature. Remember, he is the Manager of a team of 4 physicians and about 20 reviewers who process and make decisions on about 2000 applications daily. Personally, I am glad to hear he is not wasting his time signing routine correspondence requesting information that should have been submitted at the time of the initial exam.

Your frustration comes from expectations that are not met. You can either choose to continue to be frustrated or you can change your expectations and do something constructive as I suggested earlier and lobby your lawmakers for funding for this organization that serves all of us interested in aviation safety. Expressing your displeasure in a letter to the FAA, denying or ignoring the information I put out for you and negative comments about me will not reduce those frustrations.

Regards
RogerR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"lobby your lawmakers for funding for this organization that serves " and there we go...let's throw money at the problem We all know money has fixed every other issue within the fed govt don't we? Sorry just my 2 cents worth.

Posts: 154 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: 24 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
With the assistance of my Congressman I did get my medical and am happily airborne once again.

I remain not a fan of any federal bureaucratic agency, and will leave it at that.

The 172 with a 180 hp engine I am flying now...

A Piper LSA I checked out in Prescott....

And a few from my past....

Theodore Roosevelt