Find
Notify
Tools

Memorable flights 1
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
Tucson to Portland, Ore., then to Vancouver and upper Vancouver Island in the turbo 206; landing and staying at Savary Island; then across to the Pacific and down the coast and through the San Juan straits to SeaTac; back to POrtland and Tucson.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
Mine is from long ago! Try flying a C54 from Norfolk, VA to Argentia, Newfoundland then on to Ponta del Gada, Azores and into Port Lyautey, North Africa. Elapsed time for the entire flight was something like 44 hours with the work on the aircraft, gfinding a relief crew, etc.
Spent the night in Port Lyautey, then boarded a C130, flew into Nice, France and rode a bus the nine klicks to Villa Franche to board the ship. I think my body and soul were seperated for about two weeks before getting back together!

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrapperP:
Mine is from long ago! Try flying a C54 from Norfolk, VA to Argentia, Newfoundland then on to Ponta del Gada, Azores and into Port Lyautey, North Africa. Elapsed time for the entire flight was something like 44 hours with the work on the aircraft, gfinding a relief crew, etc.
Spent the night in Port Lyautey, then boarded a C130, flew into Nice, France and rode a bus the nine klicks to Villa Franche to board the ship. I think my body and soul were seperated for about two weeks before getting back together!

What a wonderful flying experience. I would have loved to have been on that journey, sore butt and all. The biggest craft I ever had the opportunity to fly was a Super DC-3 that belonged to a pal. A memorable hour and a half, and an adrenaline boosting first landing on a small town runway that looked like it was not wide enough for the landing gear.

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
the best trip I have ever taken - including many big game hunting trips around the globe - was a low and slow flight with my 18 year old daughter, from Two Rivers, Alaska (Fairbanks) to Lakeland, Florida and return in a Piper PA-18 Supercub while my 20 year old son accompanied us in his PA-11.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
The absolute most memorable flight I have ever been on was in fellow forum member Mississippian’s 660Turbo Thrush. It was freak’in unreal. It was a couple months ago and I still think about it everyday (and smile big). Until you have slithered between trees, barns and power lines interring a cotton field at around 170 or 180 mph and leveled off at a smooth 158mph to spray you have not lived. I have not given him a proper thank you, mostly because I really don’t know how. I sure hope he lets me back in it some day though.

Phil

That’s a great story by the way and a memory ya’ll have for the rest of your lives.

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
most memorable is the question - maybe 2 of them - 1st one was hunting griz in NW alaska. he had gotten our bear and flew back in to get the hide out. the landing strip was typical tundra, and just about the time the supercub stopped we hit a big rock and tipped in on the prop. bent the prop. took a couble of hours with a couple of rock to straighten it out (sort of) and flew back to camp. #2 was donw on the alaska penninsula - was hunting wolves - never had been airsick before, but we were tracking a small wolf pack from the air, and as the pack would split or turn sony hedlund (guide/pilot) would turn then we'd loose the tracks and he'd stand it up on a wingtip and circle until he'd pick them up again. All this is about 300' off the deck. It took a couple of hours, but eventually up came dinner, lunch and breakfast from the last 2 weeks. Then we continues through the day. I think it took about 3 days to be able to find my sealegs again. by the way - we did get one wolverine and one wolf. You had to land to shoot at the time, so we'd chase the wolves out into the open, then drop the door and i'd sit on the edge with my feet on the strut, sony would land & i"d jump out trying to hit a wolf, that was disappearing tail over asshole over the next ridge. We got the first wolf and then took off after the 2nd one. This one was smart, whenever we'd commit to land it would flip out to the right. I asked sony why - because she'd been shot at before - out of the pilots window & knew to flip to the right. Anyway the back seat of the cub was an old backpack frame. when I first got in the plane I sort of split the crotch of my pants a bit open. It was now that i learned a big lesson. We were landing on a frozen lake and when the wolf fliped sony flipped the plane to the right and landed. Well i was a bit excited at the time and as the skis hit the lake I jumped. When I came to again, i found that the split in my pants had hooked over the backpack frame and my pants were full of snow. My sunglasses were in front of my eyes, held in place by 2 snowballs, My rifle was barely visable but still in my hands, and sony was of no help whatsover, because he was holding onto the struts of the plane trying to stay upright laughing his ass off. by the way the wolf is still the #1 in every book. Memorable flights indeed.

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Steve Meismer
posted Hide Post
While in college, the flight team took a trip from Bozeman, MT to Monroe, La in a Cherokee 140 and a Forney Ercoupe. Going down (at about 80 mph) while flying over Sout Dakota at about 800'agl, we had a B-52 pass underneath. It was a lot like watching a whale through a glass bottomed boat. We stopped at the Beech factory and toured that, with the ercoupe drawing much attention from the corporate pilots (could have sold it 10 times over). Trip took 2 long days each way. Coming back, to avoid the worst of the headwinds, we flew as low as possible generally needing to climb considerably to reach pattern altitude to refuel. We flew over a still somewhere outside of Hope, Ar, but nobody shot at us. We refueled at a small town in northern OK, the police chief came out to run the pump, and didn't want to be paid then, they billed us several months later, what trust. We stopped at Goodland, KS due to weather, and the good folks found us places in their hanger as a severe hailstorm rolled through. Altogether, a memorable flight.

One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
Could have been my first solo, or my first Pitts flight, but most likley when I brought this one home at the age of 31 in 1991...

It was built by Pete Jones to my specs...

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 839 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the best trip I have ever taken - including many big game hunting trips around the globe - was a low and slow flight with my 18 year old daughter, from Two Rivers, Alaska (Fairbanks) to Lakeland, Florida and return in a Piper PA-18 Supercub while my 20 year old son accompanied us in his PA-11.

Phil Shoemaker

That is the best of all Phil. Didn't know you hung out in Circle. Next time I'm up that way, I'll stop in for a cup of coffee if you don't object.

My best flight was my last in the Air Force. No matter how hard you train or how well you brief, there are always a lot of things that you want to do better the next time. We had a lieutenant just about to make captain. Cut a swath with the ladies, etc. I took him as a wingman on a low level to a range, drop practice ordnance, pop up into the MOA for some air to air and then home. Nothing cosmic, but he was really on his game that day, so I kept pushing him harder and harder. He only bobbled a few times; better men would have done worse sooner most days. It was just click, click, click. No radio chatter, not a wasted second. We came into the field fast and tight, pitched out for turn inside your asshole overhead patterns, and touched down on brick one. We taxied back in formation for the pleasure of it all, and popped canopies at the same time - no visual cue needed. I felt great; he was completely soaked in sweat, and it was December in air conditioned F-16's.

I walked into life support, handed them my helmet and g-suit, and told them I wouldn't be needing them any more. I had had fifteen good years. You gotta quit when you are on top of the game.

Phil still has the best story.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Bluetick,

Im glad you enjoyed the flight! Other than planting a little wheat we are done with the season so the plane will be in the hanger until January.

Those are some amazing flights!!

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Coffee is always on - unless it's past 5 o'clock. Mu little strip and cabin is only 1/2 mile off the end of the Hot Springs runway.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
I have two flights that come to mind.

1. T-6 aerobatic flight with a friend of mine. It was the last time I saw him cause unfortunately 7 months later he was killed in a T-6 due to wing separation. There is an Airworthiness Directive that that evolved shortly after this accident so dont let my story frighten anyone away from a similar flight.

2. Dec 31, 1990, on the way to Gulf War I in a contracted 747, I rode in the cockpit about half the trip and while landing in Italy. I had just got my Private ticket, this was my first trip accross the pond and first flight in a 747. Needless to say, had a large smile on my face when I finally returned to my seat.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Coffee is always on - unless it's past 5 o'clock. Mu little strip and cabin is only 1/2 mile off the end of the Hot Springs runway.

Does the name Nancy Lewis ring a bell with you?

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Nancy Lewis ? No - but my memory is not infallable. Any more information?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Nancy Lewis ? No - but my memory is not infallable. Any more information?

She is a hunting pal of mine from Phoenix. I thought she had taken a Brown bear with you years back. Perhaps not.....

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not an avaitor ,, and don't fly any more,the one that sticks in my head to this day, was a helo ride.

Was riding the right door going in hot,,next thin I know its going round and round,, and we got thrown out about 15 or so feet off the ground.. WAS NO DAMN FUN!!!

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
A hot air balloon ride last weekend.
It lasted about an hour and calling it sublime would be understating it. Almost a religious experience.
Perfectly quiet (except for the burner now and again) no wind, no vibration and no talking.
Just a spontaneous levitation over the surface of the earth.
If you ever have the opportunity to take a ride in one of these things, JUST DO IT!! thumb

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are hundreds, but I think the one that is most prominant is when my crew and I were returning to Anchorage from Narita in the 747 on Christmas day, 1997. The moon, covering at least twenty arc degrees, was setting huge and blue-grey about thirty degrees above the horizon, while simultaneously, the rising sun peeked up over the Aleutians, spreading crimson rays across the edge of the southeast horizon. I think it was the most memorable sight I've ever seen from a cockpit.

White ice, blue ocean, magnificient moon, orange sun with radii, and a clear sky above.

No camera could capture the awesome beauty we were witnessing, and all three of us just sat there and stared, visually sweeping the horizon from left to right for at least an hour in reverent silence.

Another good thing about it was that we had two Christmases, which meant that we got to gorge ourselves on the company's nickel in Narita and also at the Christmas buffet at the Regal Alaskan.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
After reading and catching up with the comments here I have to post up another - hope multiples are allowed! Some years ago I came out of Fairbanks after a trip, heading back down to ANC and then on into YAK for a week of fishing. The flight left FAI in the wee smalls so we were up and off before day break. As we flew south, the cockpit announced we would have a 'splendid view' of Denali as we passed. Well, we not only had a splendid but an awesome view. Not yet sunup but the sun was behind the mountain and the entire mass of Denali was backlit, going from absolute black at the base, turing more and brighter pink as one's vision shifted higher and finally, pure gold near and over the top. I lack the words to offer a better description but will say it was something that has to be seen to be believed or appreciated. I can truly see why the native peoples consider Denali as a spiritual being.
I am often amazed at the number of marvels I have witnessed in Alaska considering the relatively samll amount of time I have spent there.

'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Still trying to find time to fit mine in (if future flights fit the criteria on this thread!)

Sharing the flying in a Kitfox from Nelspruit to Zanzibar. We follow the Mozambican coastline for most of the way, land on the beach every night and sleep under the wing and when we need fuel, we head inland and look for a filling station on a straight(ish) bit of road...... My buddy has done the trip a few times and says it takes about 5 days. Wink

That said, the last time he did it, he was arrested as a suspected drug smuggler. clap

Released the next day though..... dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got on board on this one. I got my private (on floats) in a 90HP cub in 1964 and my land rating a year later on skiis. The most memorable was my 450 mile long distance cross country required for my commercial. On floats in the Cub, went from Ely, MN, cleared customs at Ottawa Island, Basswood lake and then on toward Lk Nipigon and Armstrong Ontario for fuel. From there it was west to Pickle lake and back to INL for US customs and home. Don't remember how long it took, but at about 85 mph it was all day.

Hmm, or maybe it was the time at Powell lake when we developed a leak in 3 compartments of the floats on the twin beech, fatigue crack, and had to run it up on shore to keep from sinking. Or the time we knocked the ski off the 180 when we got into some slush, or when we knocked the right ski off the 140 on takeoff. Ever tried to land on one ski? I was young and bulletproof back then. I think there was once a time in a Stinson when the pivot pin broke on the right gear on landing and the gear came up between my legs in the right seat.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We were all young and bulletproof back then. Why are we still alive? I occasionally ponder that question.

And, of all the places I've ever been in a 39-year career spanning the globe, Alaska is still my favorite place.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
My first "trap" and subsequent "cat-shot" (catapult launch) off the USS Lexington as an Ensign back in 19-by-God 81! The flight back to the "beach" right at sunset was one of those
"life's moments" I'll never forget. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
The one I remember most was a couple years ago when I was practicing hammerheads. On the way up a screwdriver that was under the floor board happened to fall just right for the blade to jam the elevator in a neutral position.

When I kicked it over at the top it was hard to accept the reality that I could not pull it out of the dive toward the charcoal factory roof directly below.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
There are hundreds, but I think the one that is most prominant is when my crew and I were returning to Anchorage from Narita in the 747 on Christmas day, 1997. The moon, covering at least twenty arc degrees, was setting huge and blue-grey about thirty degrees above the horizon, while simultaneously, the rising sun peeked up over the Aleutians, spreading crimson rays across the edge of the southeast horizon. I think it was the most memorable sight I've ever seen from a cockpit.

White ice, blue ocean, magnificient moon, orange sun with radii, and a clear sky above.

No camera could capture the awesome beauty we were witnessing, and all three of us just sat there and stared, visually sweeping the horizon from left to right for at least an hour in reverent silence.

Another good thing about it was that we had two Christmases, which meant that we got to gorge ourselves on the company's nickel in Narita and also at the Christmas buffet at the Regal Alaskan.

12/25/1997 there was a just a sliver of moon in the sky.
http://www.liceofoscarini.it/didattic/astronomia/astro/...Year=1997&Emisfero=1

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
My flight last Wednesday from Kuwait City to Newark will be one for the memory book. We lifted 285 soldiers out of the sandbox The Captain stuck the logbook under the cockpit door for the entire 14 plus 30 flight and we had a steady stream of soldiers visiting the cockpit. Let me tell you that those men and women were the most professional group of individuals I have had the pleasure of meeting in quite some time. Normally it takes a cleaning crew an entire hour to prepare for the next flight, you could have loaded a whole new load of passengers with nary a light sweeping after that flight. That says alot about them in my opinion. It was alot of fun sharing stories with those guys.

JOIN SCI!

Posts: 318 | Location: 40N,105W | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
All these other float plane stories, here's mine-

Back in the early 80's we were visiting my grandmom in Philly, and I was driving around and came across this seaplane bease, Essington. It turns out to be the oldest seaplane base in the US, founded in 1913. Well hell I had to arrange a flight somehow so I went up with this old guy who had taught pilots forever, and we went in a 65 hp Cub.

The most memorable part was me doing landings and takeoffs in that J3, once we took off while in a flock of seagulls and I realized the gulls were out-climbing the Cub!

I wear to God that guy did all his instructions with his index finger! Climb, point up...Turn Left, curl the finger and rotate the wrist so it pointed left... Reduce power, waggle finger downwards, etc.... He was old back then, I'm sorry I never talked to him much after the flight about how he got started, etc.

I think I was still digesting the fact that I got out-climbed by a flock of seagulls.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Three come to mind:

First, when I was taking flying lessons at Chanute AFB one of my instuctors took me up and let me fly his N3N. He'd been a P-38 pilot in North Africa during WWII and it was an honor to fly with him.

Second, an Indian Air Force test pilot took me up in a Kiran jet trainer and taught me how to do some aerobatics over Bangalore airfield. I learned that I don't like spins.

Third, 747 ride from PSAB Saudi Arabia to Elmendorf, May '98. It was a long ride but I've never been happier to get home.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2936 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mmmm, coming back (in an HH-60H)from an airshow in Grand Junction, CO we decided to take an unplanned and unbriefed route (bunch of hunters aboard) over the Wasatch mountains in Utah. Got a bit snowy, so we decided to get back on course, 'cept all we found were sucker holes.

I was in the back and could distinctly hear a strange change in pitch of the main rotor...my pea brain finally figured out that they were icing up. I wasn't nearly as concerned then as I was later when I found out the HAC had vertigo.

Retired USN.....finally

Molon Labe.

Posts: 27 | Location: North to Alaska, maybe Nevada. | Registered: 15 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
In the late 70's we had finished refueling some fighters and buffs. The Pilot changed our flight plan to VFR and we took the KC-135 to an inside view of the Grand Canyon. I bet we scared the hell out of some rafters floating the Colorado River, we were pretty low. As the navigator that day I really got to exercise my spincter when we popped up out of the river and over the cliffs.

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flying Kazakh Air into Atyrau, Kazakhstan, in the winter on a Russian Tupelov 134. On final approach, I notice three crashed planes at the end of the runway (the only runway). I ask the pilot after we land - "What's the deal with crashed planes?". He says - " Beginners, I suppose".

They had been there for a few years to "motivate" new pilots...

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Mo
posted Hide Post
So far my long cross country. You are up there by yourself for longer than you've ever been and you realize your in control and you've got to find 3 airports you've never been to before and land at each one. Not such a big deal now but it was at the time. I will never forget it

Posts: 237 | Location: Ga. | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple,

Flying a DC-8 from Cincinnati to Honolulu. We were descending into HNL with a full moon behind us. It illuminated Hawaii casting a long moon shadow into the silvery Pacific and illuminating the snow covered peaks against that surreal looking water. That was possibly one of the most beautiful things I've seen on this planet.

I used to fly for a company that had a contract to service arctic research camps out on the polar sea ice. Usually about late April we would dismantle and haul all of the men and equipment to the beach in Deadhorse.

On this occasion we were heading out to pick up the last load of three guys and the last of the equipment. When we got out to the ice camp it was covered in a thin but dense layer of radiation fog. We made radio contact with the team on the ground and told them we'd be back in the morning to pick them up.

Well it turns out that the guys were so anxious to get off the ice that they had sent all of their survival gear, tents, sleeping bags, stoves, rifles, food ETC out on the previous flight thinking we'd be back in several hours to pick them up. STUPID!!

They also radioed us that there was a polar bear slinking around and that he was getting closer all the time they didn't think they'd make it through the night between the bear and the cold.

We were able to line up on the strip by having the guys get on either end of it and fire flares up through the fog. We lined up based on that and would descend to a preset radar altitude.

To make a long story short on the fourth approach attempt we were able to see enough to land. But there was some cushion clinching going on in between. Smiler

one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
Well, at risk of wearing out my welcome, I'm back again. On a commercial flight from Juneau to Yakutat, I saw something I never saw before or since, really don't know how rare it is but as I say, I've never seen it before. We were flying in a B737 and the weather was absolutely clear - where we were. Solid cloud cover over us and below us - only sure way to tell up from down was to look at the occasional peak sticking up through the lower level cloud cover. I don’t know if there is a name for this condition or if others have seen it but from the group of six of us plus another group of six we knew and were flying with, none could recall having ever seen the same condition. Beautiful but a bit eerie.

'TrapperP'

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ForrestB,

You're right. Checking my logs, I spent Christmas day 1997 in Buenos Aires.

On 12/23/96, I dead-headed MIA to NRA via ATL aboard DA 518, connecting to JAL 19 in ATL.

I flew NRA/ANC on 12/25/96, Flight # JAL 46 (flying contract for JAL), Boeing 747-200 N740SJ, departing Narita at 1245Z arriving ANC 1950Z, ILS approach to 6R, 7:05 enroute, departing the next day for ORD at 2027Z, flight # JAL 38 in the same aircraft. The FO was M. Connoley and the FE was M. Martin.

The lunars show a full moon on the 24th. I was mistaken as to the year.

And TrapperP, that situation is known as "between layers." It's common, particularly in the vicinity of warm fronts.