New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canadain Water Bomber @ work
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 482 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
That is an airplane I would like to be able to walk up to and look over.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well if you ever get to Vancouver Island it is worth the trip over to see the Martin Mars anchored up in Lake Cowichan

Posts: 482 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys
That's a good video of a great airplane the Captain on the Mars in the video is a friend of mine now retired.They are based on Sproat Lake just west of Port Alberni on Vancouver Island,if you look on Google Earth you can see them on there moorings at the east end of Sproat lake.
As an aside I have dropped a little water over the years 42,960,000 pounds which translates into 5,170 pickups and bomb runs in the PBY.I love those videos reminds me of the old days.
Bill

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill
Sorry yes there anchored @ Sprot Lake not Lake Cowichan a little slip there. Great war time water bomber just to bad there's only one left flying .
Wo 5,170 p/u and bomb runs con grads on a job well done ,sure you have more than a few storys to be told about the good old days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
awhile back we watched from our fishing cabin in ontario while one of them worked. Watching that plane come into the lake, drop its chute and fill up was something never to forget. The guys that fly those things are pilots with a capital P

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Brady - A PBY? What happened to the Grummans? I used to fly a long wing HU-16 Albatross. Not much as a water bomber, but you could play a hell of a game of ping pong in the cargo hold.

Posts: 383 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjr:
Bill
Sorry yes there anchored @ Sprot Lake not Lake Cowichan a little slip there. Great war time water bomber just to bad there's only one left flying .
Wo 5,170 p/u and bomb runs con grads on a job well done ,sure you have more than a few storys to be told about the good old days.

They had two, but one crashed a couple of years ago while fire fighting.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Poprivit
Well come aboard I don't know if an Albatross was ever converted into a bomber,(not in Canada I know)I always thought it would have been great.
Hi Grizzly
There are still two Mars but they are only operating one.The one that crashed was in 1961.Bill

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if that is Ron Smith flying that puppy? He douses fires in Canada in the summers. He also makes beautiful gain twist rifle barrels the rest of the year.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote