THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AVIATION FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Aviation    Pratt & Whitney Dependable Engines"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pratt & Whitney Dependable Engines"
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted
I don't recall this being posted/discussed before but thank God for P&W engines!
This incident id from March and is supposedly the longest ETOS flight to date.

===============================================

United Airlines' Boeing 777 carrying 255 passengers flew over the mid-Pacific Ocean against strong headwinds for 192 min. under single-engine power Mar. 17 to land without incident at Kona on the western coast of the big island of Hawaii .

Boeing confirmed that it was the longest single-engine diversion during Extended Twin Operations (ETOPS) since the advent of transoceanic twin-engine flights 20 years ago by a Trans World Airlines Boeing 767-200.

United spokesman Joe Hopkins said the 777 crew shut down the No. 2 PW4077-90 powerplant after the engine indication and crew alerting system (EICAS) displayed a high oil temperature and low oil quantity. The No. 1 engine powered the aircraft, operating as Flight 842, for the next 3+ hr.
to the Kona landing.

The 777 had departed Auckland , New Zealand , bound for Los Angeles. Hopkins said the 777 was likely well past the midway point to Hawaii when the engine was shut down.

United was operating the 777 in ETOPS mode on a route that, for planning purposes, is 180 min. from a suitable airport in still air with one engine operating. A Boeing official said the crew expected a 180-min.-long diversion but the 777 encountered headwinds that extended the flight by another 12 min.

The diversion during the ETOPS portion of the flight was the third recorded for all 777s, which have completed more than 400,000 flights under the FAA rules for extended-range operations. A 767 held the previous record for diversion length, but it was "not close" to the Mar. 17 diversion time, the manufacturer's spokesman said.

A Pratt & Whitney official said a detector in the No. 2 engine showed evidence of chips. Pratt and United will investigate what caused the problem.

Hopkins said United's 777 fleet has recorded a total of 16 inflight shutdowns during all phases of flight since the carrier's first 777 flight in May 1995. The United 777s have flown 2.3 million hr. during the eight years, with an inflight engine shut down rate of 0.0021 per 1000 engine hours. United operates 60 777s.

The aircraft was expected to be out of service in Kona for at least two days, if not more. United shipped a replacement engine to Hawaii, but it had to be placed on an oceangoing barge to reach the Kona airport where it was to be installed.

In addition to the crew on board Flight 842, 10 passengers occupied the first-class cabin, 47 were in business-class and 198 in economy.

After the Kona landing, passengers were accommodated on United and other airline flights.

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This incident is from march of 2004 or 2005 if my memory serves me right. The flying F/O was a friend of mine.

They had a heck of a lot more than a "chip" light. They had fluctuating oil pressure which then turned into high oil temp and a surging engine. They shut it down and diverted to Kona. They were right at their ETP(Equal Time Point) between Fiji and Honolulu but decided on Kona as it was closest. By the way there are four ETPs on that route for ETOPS purposes.

The problem turned out to be a main shaft bearing failure which pissed all of the oil out of the engine and then scrapped several rotating components and very nearly seized the engine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The problem turned out to be a main shaft bearing failure which pissed all of the oil out of the engine and then scrapped several rotating components and very nearly seized the engine.

Nasty...

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote