New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cockpit view of A380 landing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How smooth can it get? Flying without a stick would take some getting used to.

Awesome... an A380 Airbus Landing at SFO and you're in the cockpit.
This video is of the largest commercial airplane in the world landing at SFO. It is partly in German because Lufthansa is the official German airline that flies all over the world.

Watch carefully - they don’t have a “steering yoke” and just make settings to the onboard computers. This gigantic airplane almost lands itself.

http://www.wimp.com/approachlanding/

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xgrunt:
How smooth can it get? Flying without a stick would take some getting used to.

Awesome... an A380 Airbus Landing at SFO and you're in the cockpit.
This video is of the largest commercial airplane in the world landing at SFO. It is partly in German because Lufthansa is the official German airline that flies all over the world.

Watch carefully - they don’t have a “steering yoke” and just make settings to the onboard computers. This gigantic airplane almost lands itself.

That aircraft has side-sick controllers

What would drive me completely batty is flying in the left seat and flying left handed.

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Great video. Thank you. tu2

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:

That aircraft has side-sick controllers

What would drive me completely batty is flying in the left seat and flying left handed.

Kind of reminds me of my Luscombe 8E with the left hand stick and flying from the left hand side.... kinda anyway... just about a zillion tons bigger. rotflmo

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7543 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Actually it takes about 10 seconds the first time you do it and then it's completely instinctive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frankfurt to San Francisco, A380, first class, only 8 seats, $10,000 one way.

Obama's daughter's trip to Mexico $115,900 (round trip).

Who are the real "one percenters" ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is totally awesome. You experienced pilots and your right side. In the little puddle jumpers I fly, I have only flown the left side, the right side would confuse the hell out of me.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:

Actually it takes about 10 seconds the first time you do it and then it's completely instinctive.

I agree! Iam not a pilot, but have been fortunate enough to have logged several hours in a C17 simulator. Iam right handed and sat in the left seat while my buddy (real pilot) sat in the right. Being right handed, I first found the left-handed joy stick very awkward to use for the first 15 minutes or so before getting comfortable; refueling on the other handed was a bit more challenging. The fine motor skills/coordination in my left hand is not as refined as my left. Nevertheless, I was able to fly it without much trouble. I've also got to fly the T6, T1, and T38 simulators. What a blast!

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget, the pilots are switching back and forth in two languages as well. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote