New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grounded 787s
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I notice all you fellas that dislike Airbus so much on here are pretty quiet about this one!

http://theweek.com/article/ind...becoming-a-nightmare

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin

(Not that I like Airbus, far from it)

Just like on the Crater nobody noticed that Lance Armstrong did admit that he cheated... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Philip A.:
Just like on the Crater nobody noticed that Lance Armstrong did admit that he cheated... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Bingo. I got raked over the coals years ago for noting that there is no way on Gods green earth that someone wins those tours post cancer while clean. You would have thought I was wiping my hind end with the flag or something. Now, I have refused to bring it up in the crater simply to avoid the inevitable chorus of "cycling is a crap commie frenchie sport anyway"! Funny how cycling was a nationalist rally point as long as we were winning the tour and struggling in Iraq and A-stan.

Roll Eyes

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I fly quite a lot, and I fly both Boeing and Airbus planes.

It does not give me any pleasure to see either of them suffering safety concerns.

And frankly, I travel mostly First or Business Class. And appart from the different airlines configuration, I cannot tell which one is superior to the other.

Now to that bloody criminal, Armstrong!

I have never beleieved he did what he did without cheating.

I have had heated arguments with people who almost worshipped him.

I thik he should be charged with criminal intent, and those who sponsored him should claim all their money back from him!

And he had the audacity to ask that he should be allowed to competer again!

Yep, in the backyard of prison!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, you don't understand our system . If you're a 'personality' you can do anything you like ,Then you go to our "Official Confessor" [a TV show host !] and be born again ! The list is long ,Armstrong ,Tiger Woods , etc ,etc . barf

One of our TV programs interviewed an engineer who had written a long paper detailing the problems Boeing would face.He was right of course .As an engineer I had predicted most of the same .Too much outsourcing, too much new technology ,too many new proceedures etc.
The old rule of course is never buy anything in the first year of production. They'll get it sorted out .

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
According to my former professor of structural engineering the B-29 would only fly at 50% of it's design loading. He should know he was there. The thing killed one of Boeing's best test pilots.

But it didn't turn out too bad.

There are numerous other examples in the Aerospace industry where things need to be engineered twice, especially where a lot of new technologies are introduced. The 787 is absolutely loaded with it!

The FAA certified the thing for flight service after testing it.

I have no doubt that given time the Company will fix the thing one way or another.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The issue on the 787 will be solved when they replace the batteries.

The Lithium Ion batteries used on the 787 are based on older LiIon technology from a supplier that was "The only game in town" at the time the aircraft were designed and manufactured.

Newer Li-Ion batteries are less subject to an energetic thermal runaway, not to mention the newer batteries have a greater charge density (more reserve time)

"Thermal runaway" is the phrase to remember because that is what has happened to the batteries in the afflicted aircraft.

Lithium Ion batteries with internal cell shorts sounds like a "battery problem" more than an "Aircraft problem"

of course when your airplane is in flight when the "problem" happens...

when I first hear about this I had a laugh with a friend, Boeing
must have hired the engineers that Apple computers cashiered
over the "Exploding machbook" debacle years ago.

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MLG:
I notice all you fellas that dislike Airbus so much on here are pretty quiet about this one!

http://theweek.com/article/ind...becoming-a-nightmare

Anyone that think developing a new plane is like making an omlet is sadly mistaken.

Look at the development histroy of the b-17, B-24, B-29, esp B-36, and Esp b-58, and the F-111. They were all killers. I even saw a B-58 kill two men from a blown tire when I was 10.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Now to that bloody criminal, Armstrong!

I have never believed he did what he did without cheating.I have had heated arguments with people who almost worshipped him.I think he should be charged with criminal intent, and those who sponsored him should claim all their money back from him!

I think there is actually a decent chance that he will be charged with fraud. The question however becomes, "Is it fraud if no rational person would believe his claims to be true?" I also do think that this will cost him most if not the vast majority of his ill-gotten fortune. Regarding cycling in general, I like Jacques Anquetil's quote from the 1960s. He said, "only a fool would imagine it was possible to ride Bordeaux–Paris on just water". Of course, the crater is full of those.

Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Saeed:

It does not give me any pleasure to see either of them suffering safety concerns.

And frankly, I travel mostly First or Business Class. And appart from the different airlines configuration, I cannot tell which one is superior to the other.

Saeed. For someone who travels as much as you do, how would you rate British Air. I cannot afford to fly first or business and my experience with them over the last year was not good.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Saeed:

Saeed. For someone who travels as much as you do, how would you rate British Air. I cannot afford to fly first or business and my experience with them over the last year was not good.

I have not flown British Airways for many years.

And frankly, as the routes I fly are serviced by airlines from our part of the world - Emirates, Etihad and Qatar Airways. Which are far superior than any of the European or American airlines.

I don't think I would be flying BA any time soon.

Mind you, I do have friends who fly only BA to the UK.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I miss the days of the 707's. Back when we poluted the air with blue ice. Or has that already by done with the current airwonder

.....fortunate son

Posts: 20 | Location: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: 15 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

http://www.china.org.cn/busine...content_27756997.htm

"The B787's complex electrical system, built by French company Thales SA."

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 787 program guys at my company are now calling her "The melting pot". Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jacques Anquetil's quote from the 1960s. He said, "only a fool would imagine it was possible to ride Bordeaux–Paris on just water". Of course, the crater is full of those.

And HE was one of the greatest riders ever! After Tommy Simpson, of course! RIP.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
Looking at who is calling the shots on this one at the FAA & NTSB, it sure makes me wonder if the Administration is taking a shot at one of our top defense contractors and a company who has added production in a right to work state.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 839 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, let's see, that dirty rotten Obama doesn't care about safety only about a contractor who has a plant in a "right to work state"! Wonderful! Keep it up! This should go right along with 'Obama is a Muslim", "Obama doesn't have a valid birth certificate", "women who have been raped can't get pregnant" etc. etc. I love it!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Oh, let's see, that dirty rotten Obama doesn't care about safety only about a contractor who has a plant in a "right to work state"! Wonderful! Keep it up! This should go right along with 'Obama is a Muslim", "Obama doesn't have a valid birth certificate", "women who have been raped can't get pregnant" etc. etc. I love it!
Peter.

I was asking a simple question, the rest of your rant does not even warrant a response.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 839 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Airplane developed without a glitch is the exception, rather than the rule. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
F224, please forgive my naivete. I thought that the National Transportation SAFETY Board was concerned about safety. Likewise the FAA. Is it safe to assume that if a Republican was President then he would be looking to penalize factories in states that allow unions? please educate me here. I recollect that Airbus has decided not to use the same type of batteries that Boeing used. Perhaps they are just caving in to big government? I don't see massive complaining from Republican congressmen and senators about the decisions. Don't you think they have been getting calls from Boeing's lobbyists? Is it even remotely possible that the batteries are a safety hazard?
Peter.