THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CLASSIFIED FORUM

Please remember hunting and shooting related posts only, no links to other sites.

Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Ill take it" vs. PM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. I have had great luck with everyone on AR on purchases + sales. The 1st one to post, "I'll take it" has priority IMO, but if they change their mind, I appreciate them giving immediate notice so it can be relisted. Again, guys here have been honest.

Posts: 4250 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As to honest people here on AR, I always ship the stuff before I get the money, and they always send it.

Posts: 17136 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Until a seller accepts an offer, it is his to decide whom he's doing a deal.

I couldn't care less if a jerk I can't stand says "I'll BUY IT" in an open forum if I've already decided I'm never going to do business with him.

Conversely, I'd not even be upset of someone I was an ass to decided not to sell to me just because I happened to be the first one on the forum to see his ad.

Posts: 1309 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a guy asked me in PMs some questions about a gun I had for sale. I answered, in PMs. Then another guy jumps in on the listing and said “I’ll take it”
I sold it to the first guy that said “ill take it”
The other guy said that I sold it out from under him. I gave an appropriate response to him.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
This has nothing to do with contracts; it is Open Forum respect and fairness.
Of course anyone can sell to whomever he wants; that is not the point. The point is that the seller has posted something on this open forum, for forum members to respond to.
The first one to post "I'll take it: PM sent", sort of the commonly used format here, should be the one who gets it. If the seller chooses to ignore this common courtesy rule and sell it to someone in secrecy (after he has enjoyed the public free advertising), that is up to him. But he should not think that is fair.
After this open, I'll take it, the PM will follow to the seller. Then if the potential buyer discovers something he does not like, the post can be deleter and/or the item is still for sale. This is very clear and fair to the seller, buyer, and all forum members. If the seller wants secrecy, go to Gunbroker and pay their fees. Otherwise, treat all forum members the same; no secret deals.
If you want too sell something so it is a secret, then post; " Offers to buy will only be accepted via PMs". Lest someone actually think it is actually still for sale.

Contract law is actually what controls. It is called offer and acceptance. That and the UCC requires a transaction for goods over 500 dollars to be confirmed to writing. The post and accepting post form the contract.

Now, we have practicalities at play.

That is why the first acceptance that mirrors the original offer should get the sale unless the list specified a method of accepting the offer.

Posts: 10972 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old man rant time. :-). As mentioned above, contract law is fairly simple. Even more frustrating is offer + acceptance + offer to pay (and told to pay in person) and plans to meet up and seller ghosts you for weeks and then you see the rifle you agreed to purchase on this site for sale on another site! You contact “seller” and are told they determined they had “too much in it” to let it go for the agreed upon/contracted price. For what it’s worth, I posted “I will take it” on the forum as well as PM and there were multiple telephone calls. Old man therapeutic rant over. :-)

Posts: 167 | Registered: 22 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You lawyers don't give up do you? No one cares what the law is. I have also had what df said; guy PMs and asks questions; another guy Clearly and openly posts "I will take it"; guy who questioned gets mad. Too bad; you didn't say you wanted it did you?
I rest my case, and will prevail in AR court. No lawyers needed.

Posts: 17136 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You lawyers don't give up do you? No one cares what the law is. I have also had what df said; guy PMs and asks questions; another guy Clearly and openly posts "I will take it"; guy who questioned gets mad. Too bad; you didn't say you wanted it did you?
I rest my case, and will prevail in AR court. No lawyers needed.

Yep.
What DPCD said.
No one would sue over this issue, no money it for the lawyer or the supposedly offended party.
I buy and sell a great deal. I sell to who I choose. Period.

Posts: 10208 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As to honest people here on AR, I always ship the stuff before I get the money, and they always send it.

Precisely why I choose my buyers if there is more than one.

Posts: 10208 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Del Prater:
This is stupid!!! If you post "first I will take it followed by PM" that's the only time that should be the rule. It's your sale and you decide how to handle it.

The fact that someone thinks they dictate your sale is crazy!!!

Now if the forum owner decides that's the rules to post on their forum that's a different response. I am not aware of any such rule on any forum!!!!

What Del said. That is why I chose who I sell to and who I buy from. I buy from Del. I sell to Del. Regardless of "I will take it" or whatever. I know Del will make good on the deal everytime.

one of us
posted Hide Post
"I'll take it" is a slippery road and a fools errand.Ive bought and sold as many guns or components as anyone on here, and made a bad buy or two in near 40 years, because I didn't ask for an inspection. Didn't complain because it was my bad..and got excited and over reacted and said me first!!without a call or email...Your buying sight unseen so its time to haggle, You will make a lot of friends on AR has been my experience. Misunderstandings occur when you don't discuss a negotiation. For those that see otherwise, I suggest your not 'required' to partake. Its not BS, its just good business..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's not marked sold, or sold via P.M., or marked sold somewhere else. Isn't it still for sale ?
I'll take it means just that. I'm taking to be as you described.

Hang on TITE !!

Posts: 576 | Registered: 19 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another lawyer here. If a lawyer has to interpret a transaction on AR then we have a problem.

I’ve done a few transactions here and never had a problem. If someone wants to negotiate, that should be via PM. If the advertised price and things are agreed upon, “I’ll take it” should be sufficient.

I do get frustrated when a classified advertisement gets deleted after the transaction has been completed. I liked knowing what the market would bear for certain items.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's your sale and you decide how to handle it.

Concur.

There were two or three guys that would claim an item I was posting and then not pay.

When I change my mind, I always do so publicly and via PM.

One guy I had sold a lot of stuff with, and bought a lot from I sent them item before he paid it. He never paid for it. So I have stopped with that generosity.

It's your sale. Do what you want.

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:
This is stupid!!! If you post "first I will take it followed by PM" that's the only time that should be the rule. It's your sale and you decide how to handle it.

The fact that someone thinks they dictate your sale is crazy!!!

Now if the forum owner decides that's the rules to post on their forum that's a different response. I am not aware of any such rule on any forum!!!!

What Del said. That is why I chose who I sell to and who I buy from. I buy from Del. I sell to Del. Regardless of "I will take it" or whatever. I know Del will make good on the deal everytime.

+1 for both Del and for selling being the choice of the seller.

Although I do have to admit that I take guilty pleasure in watching grown men throw tantrums like spoiled children when they don’t get to buy their new toy.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post