THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CLASSIFIED FORUM

Please remember hunting and shooting related posts only, no links to other sites.

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Classified - FIREARMS ONLY    STILL LOOKING FOR NUMBER 14 BREVEX - WANTED TO BUY - BREVEX MAUSER - ANY CALIBER
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

STILL LOOKING FOR NUMBER 14 BREVEX - WANTED TO BUY - BREVEX MAUSER - ANY CALIBER
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Its been a while since I added a Brevex to my collection.

I found number 13 .... so ....
http://forums.accuratereloadin...4711043/m/7051090272

Now I'm looking for number 14 Brevex to add to my collection .. anyone have one for sale?

If you have one that you'd consider selling, or know of one for sale, please drop me a note.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2115 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Champlins has a Hoenig Brevex 416 Rigby. Damn nice.

Posts: 7783 | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buck, how 'bout building a Brevex in 470 Capstick? :-)

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:

Hello BaxterB,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that's a real nice gun the Champlins has. But Champlins is a little too proud of it. I bought a George Hoenig custom in 338-378 Wby last year for 1/12th that price. http://forums.accuratereloadin...4711043/m/3551033362

quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

Hello Biebs,
Thanks for the reply.

I don't have the heart to "modify" one of my 11 Breves Mausers. I think that would be a sin. I'd like to find another to make an even dozen.

Posts: 2115 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think dismal river armory has a really nice one.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:

Hello BaxterB,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that's a real nice gun the Champlins has. But Champlins is a little too proud of it. I bought a George Hoenig custom in 338-378 Wby last year for 1/12th that price. http://forums.accuratereloadin...4711043/m/3551033362

quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

Hello Biebs,
Thanks for the reply.

I don't have the heart to "modify" one of my 11 Breves Mausers. I think that would be a sin. I'd like to find another to make an even dozen.

I think that 1/12th is because no one happened to take it out of the stock first ;-)

Posts: 7783 | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brevex,,,satisfactory basis to start out with BUT.....not desiogned to single feed.

If you try, you'll have a real bummer of a jam

Some disaree, but I feel this is a definite must have in a DGR.

Can be modified like an original Mauser, but not a piece of cake

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not trying to sideline this thread but Duane Wiebe brought up an interesting issue for me. I have read your posting and pictures for single feed modifications needed for the Mausers that are control round feed and purchased your pamphlet about this. My question is " Is the Brevex more difficult or involved to do the an FN 98 Mauser or A GMA action?

Posts: 77 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 14 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Brevex,,,satisfactory basis to start out with BUT.....not desiogned to single feed.
If you try, you'll have a real bummer of a jam
Some disaree, but I feel this is a definite must have in a DGR.
Can be modified like an original Mauser, but not a piece of cake
Hello Duane Wiebe,
Thanks for the reply.

I have modified most of my Brevex rifles to allow single feeding by just tossing a cartridge into the action and closing the bolt. An unmodified Brevex rifle that jammed when trying to add a cartridge is why John Buhmiller stopped using Brevex actions for dangerous game rifles. The jam nearly cost him his life on one of his African hunts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:

I have modified most of my Brevex rifles to allow single feeding by just tossing a cartridge into the action and closing the bolt. An unmodified Brevex rifle that jammed when trying to add a cartridge is why John Buhmiller stopped using Brevex actions for dangerous game rifles. The jam nearly cost him his life on one of his African hunts.

What was involved in modifying your Brevex rifles to single feed? I ask because I was under the impression that they would require more work than a standard 98. My oft faulty memory tells me that metal had to be removed from the extractor slot in the receiver ring. Is that correct.

BTW, your Brevex rifles are impressive, but the 338/378 might be my favorite. Such a classy rifle.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:

What was involved in modifying your Brevex rifles to single feed? I ask because I was under the impression that they would require more work than a standard 98. My oft faulty memory tells me that metal had to be removed from the extractor slot in the receiver ring. Is that correct.

BTW, your Brevex rifles are impressive, but the 338/378 might be my favorite. Such a classy rifle.
hello JBrown,
I have only modified the extractor without removing metal from the extractor slot. All that I have modified this way work fine for single loading.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What you did CAN allpw sinle loading, but you had to thin the extractor or compromise the "
hook 'engagement ...or both

The original 98 was designed with extra clearance at the ring (1mm) to allow the extractor (unlatered) to snap over a a round dropped in the chamber.

(Plowed this ground before)

Brevex and some other modern 98 types did not go through the extra trouble ( expense) to do it right.

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
What you did CAN allow single loading, but you had to thin the extractor or compromise the "
hook 'engagement ...or both
Hello Duane,

On my Brevex Mausers, all I did was to change the bevel angle and radius on the forward end of the hook. I did not have to thin the extractor. I don't believe this compromised the hook engagement. I've never had any failed extractions.

STILL LOOKING FOR NUMBER 14