THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CLASSIFIED FORUM

Please remember hunting and shooting related posts only, no links to other sites.

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FS Custom 1957 Model 70 .338 Winchester
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My days of hunting anything larger than deer are officially over. So, my elk rifle, the finest rifle I've ever owned, is officially looking for a new home. 1957 Winchester Model 70 .338 Winchester, I was told it's a Lilja barrel but it's not marked as such. No maker markings, but whoever built it knew how to do it right. I've only shot one load through it with a 210 Partition. Shoots under an inch for 3. This rifle has been hunted and used, alot, but not abused. It has a few dings and marks, but no major damage. The action is glass bedded and the barrel is full length bedded. My kids and grandkids are all taken care of with their own firearms already, so this one can go. $2700 to your FFL. Rifle only, no scope.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 421 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
do you know who did the stock? can I see a picture of the grip cap?

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2115 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats like buying a stock and getting the rest for free.

Posts: 1303 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't find any markings in the stock.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 421 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous rifle sir. Hope it finds a worthy home.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2794 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow that is one beautiful rifle.

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pm sent

Posts: 2115 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOP is right at 14 inches.

NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rifle is sold.

Thanks,
Rob

NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is an absolute gorgeous rifle ..
I missed that ...
congrats to Buckstix if he is the new owner ..
Wow...

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1293 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nope ... not me

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stunning rifle in an excellent caliber, I will go out on a limb and say It looks like something Al Biesen might have stocked. He was from my area in Northern Idaho but worked in Spokane Washington and was a master of his craft in my eyes. When I lived there 30 years ago a guy could still run across/hunt down some of his rifles in the area.
Anyway it looks like an Al Biesen rifle to me, he did work for Jack O'Connor often.
Just looked at where you are from and I'm sure Al or one of his kids did the work.
Excellent price!

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No dog in the fight, but most Biesen rifles have his name either on the barrel or stamped in the wood.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's not a Bisen, the comb is not Bisen, not even close, There are a million small shop or fresh out of gunsmith school gun builders with world of talent out there and any one of them can build an awesome rifle. Without a signature it doesn't count, but they are a steal..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the work of LeRoy and Connie Barry of Canyon Creek Custom Gunstocks out of Darby, Montana. I have a number of rifles with stocks and checkering similar to that one that LeRoy and Connie have done for me. Connie is a master checkerer and LeRoy does the stocks, bedding, fitting etc. Send them the pic and ask them. I've had them put some Lilja and Shilen barrels on some of mine when they customized them.

Posts: 18530 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post