New
Find
Notify
Tools

popular rifles in Europe
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
To all of you, thanks for your responses. It is always interesting to find out about different cultures and preferences. Can anyone tell me about the Sauer 202 or direct me to a website. I've heard it was even better than the Sako 75. If that's the case , it must be a heck of a gun.

Posts: 2092 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This might do the trick...

Sauer & Sohn - English Page

One advantage of the Sauer 200 series, is that you can take the barrel off them - very practical for travelling... Usually, they are accurate right out of the box.

The Sauer 200/202 series comes with either a steel or an aluminium (I think) action. Apart from the weight savings of aluminium, I'm not sure of the pros and the cons of this option...

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mho, very,very nice. That model with the Mannlicher style stock is a nice looking model.

Posts: 2092 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
For carcano91:
After WW2 some lefties in Finland wanted that no military calibers for hunting and some amount of 7,62x53R rifles converted to calibers 8,2x53R and 9,3x53R. Recent times more powerful 9,3x62 and modern rifledesign is displased old 9,3x53R and Mosin-Nagant design, few of them are of course still used by "old-timers".

For savage49494:
I use Sauer 200 (father of 202) and I am very satisfied with it. But, there is too negative features: Trigger pull is fixed, you can adjust yourself only pull of set trigger function. Magazine has one line, so normal magazine takes only 3 rounds and ugly oversized model 5 rounds + you have to detach it for loading. Rest of features are great, including smooth lock, great safety (silent and ergonomic), set trigger function, accuracy and stylish design. [Smile]

Posts: 20 | Location: Helsinki Finland | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well this is an interesting tread. I looked over a Sauer 202 the other day. I didn't like it at all. I'm sure that its a good rifle, I just found it to be way to much shine. I like Sako's a lot. I got a couple. I have a 7 x 57 Brno ZKK. Now that rifle had problems,feeding and extraction problems and well a poor finnish. My smith, took and redid the rifle. I was a jewel in the rough is the best way to discribe it. Its a good hunting rifle now, but it took some time and a bit of cash to make corrections. I looked at a Blaser Single shot, Now I liked that a lot even at 3000 USD, it was not all that bad a price. Strange scope mounting set up and a break open action. But it was a 270 and it was light and it shot great, and I did hunt with it once. A friend owns the rifle. I was a joy to carry, Alaska is a little hard on guns but that rifle came thru ok, even with me carrying it for three weeks in the Brooks Range. Europeans just have different tastes, just as the hunting and the gun laws make for the difference. My guess is that the Blaser 93 is a way for a fellow to own a lot of different cartridges, but have a limited number of guns, since barrels are not the actions. A clever way to get around the law's, just to show you if there is a will there will always be a way.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
George,

quote:
My guess is that the Blaser 93 is a way for a fellow to own a lot of different cartridges, but have a limited number of guns, since barrels are not the actions. A clever way to get around the law's, just to show you if there is a will there will always be a way.
I wish it was so!
In Portugal each gun must be registered and a document is issued with the gun number, calibre, owner name, etc...
If a gun is numbered on the action and you have more than one barrel (and calibre) for it then a second calibre is added to that document.
The Blaser 93 is numbered on the barrel and so for each barrel a new document must be issued and it is considered as being a different gun.
Tough legislation!

And many other European countries have very restrictive legislation regarding private ownership of guns.

B.Martins

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Georges, I very much like my Blaser R93 and Sauer 202 rifles. Considering your local needs and conditions, your comments about the 202 are founded. However, I would advise you to take a close look at the Sauer 202 Alaska : sealed laminated wood, coated (Ilaflon) metal parts, cal. .300 Win Mag, .300 Weath, .375 HH & .416 Rem.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't say that the Blaser 93 was a bad rifle, they have a lot going for it. Being able to break it down is nice, if that is important to you. As for the 202's just because I didn't like it, dose not mean its not a good gun either. Its more to do with taste than anything else. Then again my favorite rifle, is an old Mannlicher Schoenaur 1903 6.5 x 54. Now thats a rifle. I'm going to hunt sheep and carabou with it this year. Now if they would just build those, but then again they would have to get 6 grand for one.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think George is talking about the Blaser K95, not the R93) as he refers to it as a single shot.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, thats what it was, a Blasler K-95. And Andre, that 202 Alaskan looks interesting. The web sight said they don't export them with fixed sights out of Germany. That is a strange thing to do but, we live in a very strange world. I have a 416 Remington so, I don't have any real need. But need was never a factor when I look at a rifle. Its more of will it do what I think I require of it. I didn't mean to come across as saying the rifle was no good because I didnt like it much in the store. Then again I didn't like a A-square Hannable that sort of came my way either. 340 Weatherby, I got it cheap, and I mean real cheap, that was till I shot it. For some reason known only to the rifle gremlins, I can shoot that rifle off hand better than anyother and I'm talking 8 inch paper plates, I can hit them at 200 yards with out a rest. I may buy one in 300 Weatherby, just to see if my first thoughts are wrong.