New
Find
Notify
Tools

RWS Torpedo Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently managed to "steal" 10 boxes of 30-06, RWS ammo, loaded with the 150 grain "torpedo" bullet. Ordinarily, I dont shoot factory rounds, but the cost of this ammo was less than the cost of new brass! Also, this stuff shoots cloverleafs with my Steyr-Mannlicher M. Question: How tough is the torpedo bullet. I'm sure it will kill deer, but I wonder if it is adequate for moose. Any and all input would be appreciated. Stoney

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rws loads two "torpedo" bullets in 30 caliber.

one is a 150gr TIG which is NOT a moose bullet.

the other is 180gr TUG bullet which IS a moose bullet at 30.06 velocities.

just make sure which one is the one you have.

montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, The bullets are the TIG. Stoney

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I use 162grn TIG'S for my 7x64BR and 150grn TIG's for my 308WIN for game up to Red Stag with good results but they are to light for Moose.
Adam C.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ozhunter, or anyone else with 7mm RWS bullets on hand,
would it be possible for someone with a micrometer to measure some 7mm RWS bullets for me? I'm curious what they measure as I've heard they are not 0.284 inches.
TIA,

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Just curious... Do you consider it marginal for moose because of the bullet construction or the weight? I ask since literally thousands and thousands of moose are killed in Sweden each year with 6.5x55, and a 150 grains bullet ought to get more energy from a 30-06 than from the old Swede.

Regards,
Martin

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Martin, I was refering to the bulet construction and with marginal I just ment that some things should be taken in consideration - imho TIG doesnt like higher speeds with hard bone hits (its quite soft and prone to crumble) and its primary ment for lighter to medium sized game (tho I saw quite some big exit wounds on roe deer), I bet it makes quite good job on clean broad moose shots, but if I would have to take a quartering shot through some unwanted obsticles I would rather look somewhere else - I believe thats where the TUG steps in ...

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have to second mouse93 on that, the construction is a bit light (opens up to fast, a bit fragile) for a raking end on shot at something as big as a Moose. I have had no trouble on deer, up to the size of Red Deer, with the exact combination you mention, but would opt for the TUG or a Woodleigh 180g PP, or Nosler Partition 180g.

If these are all you have, and want to use them anyway, I can only say, be careful and pick your shots, try for the neck, or aim for behind the shoulder into the heart/lung area.

Otherwise, I belive you will find them quite adequate for deer.

Not sure about Elk, does anyone have an opinion/experience with this combo on Elk?

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
IMO the TIG's are to lightly (constructed) for safe use on game bigger than say Red Stag.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I have learned something about TIG and TUG today! thumb

Regards,
Martin

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of the "traditional" German hunting bullets somewhat defy classifications such as "lightly constructed", and I think the TIG is one of them. Both the standard Brenneke bullets, TIG and TUG, have jackets made out of some sort of ferrous metal (I believe) - as opposed to the regular gilding metal (copper compund) jackets. Due to the jacket material, they tend to give off quite a few "splints" when hitting the target. The TIG to the point, that it has been designed around this feauture - as have bullets like the H-Mantel and Doppelkern. Either bullet is intended to shed their front parts, much like a Nosler Partition does in real life. The rear part of the bullet is intended to stay intact, and penetrate - more or less in caliber size. The system has worked for quite a few years now, and is still quite popular in Central Europe. The TIG bullets are used up to the heaviest game found in Central Europe, pigs and reds. Can't really comment about moose, not many of them around here, although I guess there are not a bunch of them in Australia either.

One particular feature found on many Central European bullets - TIG and TUG included - is the sharp edge(s) (Scharfrand) on the front of the bullet. That feature is not a bad way of ensuring, that hair can be found on the impact location, and that entry wounds bleed more freely.

I personally don't tend to use the German bullets too much, preferring US designs. Not that the German bullets don't work, but US bullets can normally be had quite a bit cheaper, and also work, albeit according to a different philosophy. I also use Norma bullets like Oryx or Vulkan from time to time.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
The TUG's and H-MANTLE's that I have used with my 9.3x62 on game of moose like weight such as Kudu, Waterbuck, Zebra and Eland have worked well and as mho as stated the TUG's have great sharp edges that create good blood flow.
The TIGs that I have recovered from wild pigs and deer also have these cutting edges but hold much less weight, reducing penetration.
Adam C