New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nice video clip of calling Reds..
 Login/Join

posted
http://www.jaktogdvd.no/no/jaktfilmer/hjortejakt-hjortejakt-dvd.html

This guy looks like hes having some fun...Had a chuckle at the teckle at the end too; it obviously meant business if only its legs weren't so short!

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
That was cool Pete thanks for sharing. That's the beauty of the Teckel/Dackel, they get 'em up and moving without running them down! Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
now that was great,

i couldn't understand the lingo but that guy was enjoying himself.
brilliant.

Posts: 358 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The lingo is the Royal Viking Language of Norway Smiler
Nice clips and nice shots thumb

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 63
posted Hide Post
That was great. clap

How do they work/train those dogs to move deer back towards the hunter? The way it was editing didn't make it hugely clear to me to be honest.

Posts: 80 | Location: Chester | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a "dog man" myself, I have never hunted red with dogs.
But I guess that they already new where the deer have bedded down for the day, and they also know the terrain well enough to estimate where they will come when the dog have them on the run.

To "guide" a red deer towards the hunter is probably a to big feat even for a dachs.
But again, I guess some of the experienced dog handlers will chime in here?

Hunting roe with such slow moving dogs, the roe tend to circle at an easy pace.
And closing in on the dog when it´s baying, one can have lots of good oportunities for a shot.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice video and good shooting.

Is calling a common tactic during the roar? I have never seen it done, but would love to try one day...

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bog.
Quite a few guys master the calling of red stag and moose bulls.

Unfortunately, I´m not one of them.
My best efforts in that leauge was when coming home late at night from a tour at the pubs, and the "roaring" usually took place at the bathroom.
Could have had something to do with me beeing in rut as well, ah..it´s all a bit foggy now Confused

Arild Iversen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
good clips! The calling amused my colleagues when I played this in the office. In the West Country of the UK we call red stags during the rut and it works well, in many ways it is easier than calling roe bucks in July / August. There are good horn calls on the market made in Germany, but a friend of mine can do it very well in a similar way to that seen in the video. In fact he is at times a bit too good. I have been with him on culling outings when his calls frightened off younger stags, the ones we wanted to shoot, and he scared the crap out of a client one morning by calling so well that a big smelly stag wanted to get into the doe box with them! Slightly un-nerving in the pre-dawn darkness! I don't think this is a technique used so much in Scotland, but with woodland reds we find it a useful way to bring stags out of cover. It is also great if you are guiding a photographer or a group of the general public who want a close look at wild red deer.

Posts: 51 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote