THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    Keeping Them Close! (Thank God I am a Hunter)

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keeping Them Close! (Thank God I am a Hunter)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted
Just a regular Friday afternoon - kids have a fight who is comming with me this time. Boy (13) draw a short one this time so its Girl's (11) time.

Just a short, early June afternoon stroll through the woods to the high seat...

Rolling greens - beats a TV scene every time, whispering, we talk simple, everyday things...

A doe finds its way out in the open...time to pause and observe

And a buck soon afterwards:

She urged me to shoot it (man - this comes from a girl that one of her school friend refused to talk to, because she ate a horse burger...), however I explain to her it is a young buck and we have a whole season ahead...

She gets it - I know

I know she's on a good way and I know I am one lucky SOB and life is great. It is my Son's turn now...

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great post it really helps us to remember the truly important things in life.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Superb, you are a lucky man to spend time with your kids like this.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Brilliant work Mouse, very well done sir.

I can scarcely imagine a finer way to spend an evening.

Best,

Amir

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second what Amir said, and the kids are the ultimate hunting buddys!

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice one - glad to see you passing on the flame.

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Mouse

It's great to see the kids involved. My son (3) is just getting to the point where he wants to go everywhere with me and is particularly intrigued in fishing and fishing rods. I was out with Trapper a couple of weeks ago and he called me while on my way home to see how we had done. The conversation was something like this when I got in:

L: Hi Daddy!! You got fishies?
Me: Yep
L: They big fishies daddy?
Me: Yep we got big fishies
L: Can I see fishies Daddy? can I?
Me: Yes they are in the sink

He wonders over to the sink with his chair, stands on it and looks into the bowl.

L: You silly daddy, they not big fishies, they lickle fishies!!

After 5 years I finally managed to get out drift fishing for plaice and a three year old brought me right back down to earth! !

Rgds,
K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of gordoma74
posted Hide Post
I know she's on a good way and I know I am one lucky SOB and life is great. It is my Son's turn now...[/QUOTE]

Hey Buddy, its getting about high time you brought them all out here! Smiler

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys - the pleasure is all mine! beer

quote:
Originally posted by gordoma74:
Hey Buddy, its getting about high time you brought them all out here! Smiler

Cool be careful what you wish for - no worries Man - as you know - "All roads lead to Zim" - besides - getting them there is the whole purpose of above (behind the scenes) wave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! Not much better in life than that.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mouse!

Great tale & photos - lovely.

tu2

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trully fantastic!!! I did (and do when they come here for vacations from around the world) the same with my four, well, kids. Enjoy every second.....

Regards

PH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mouse.

Many thanks for sharing your joys with us!!

I don't have any "rug rats" myself, but in about four weeks (I think) Zaitsev gets to make me a "42nd uncle"

I can't wait to see how that turns out!!!

ATB.

Ratty.

Posts: 210 | Location: Misplaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 21 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Mouse,

What a beautiful young lady. They have so much competing for their time nowadays. You have done well just to get them out and talk over "simple, everyday things". I am convinced that a little of this leads to them asking you later in life about complicated, important things.

Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mouse - how long until she is pulling the trigger? Is there a minimum age in Slovenia?

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Great post

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

quote:
Originally posted by Boghossian:
Mouse - how long until she is pulling the trigger? Is there a minimum age in Slovenia?

Officialy - not until she gets permission to handle guns - that follows the membership in local Hunting Club and passing a State Exam...so in about 7 or so years Wink yeah right...tell mi about it Big Grin .

In praxis - to be honest I don't know yet - the whole point is as title says in keeping them close...

ATM we pay a regular visits to the range with .22 l.r...I will be shooting some trap this weekend and I plan to pass a gun to her for a couple of clays...

Still to come this year - getting use to CF rifle - the smallest I have is 7x57R. If I'd have a sort of .222 or one of the 5,6mm (52 Savage or even 50R Mag. might be there already...btw this got me thinking to borrow one...hmmm!

To cut it short - not yet, but soon - all I know is that it will be an instant decision in the field and not one taken at home before the hunt...she will have to "deserve it" - IMO killing doesn't come "cheap" - it shouldn't ... So you know it might just be one of the bucks that we will observe, or maybe a fox passing...don't know...and I'll just calmly pass her the rifle suggesting: "Ok - take it!"

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
My youngest girl shot her first buck (and as to date, her only) buck several years ago. As you stated, you don't know when it will happen. We had sat "on stand" a very few times before that, and since that time only once or twice. A whitetail buck came in from the left. I took a quick glance through the binoculars and told her to "shoot that deer". She asked, "Are you sure?" I repeated, a little more emphatically "Shoot that deer now." She shot a wee bit high, but it spined him and he went straight down. Thirteen points. Not extremely wide, but for a Texas hill country whitetail, and especially for a first buck, it doesn't get any better.

She is getting married in two weeks. It's about to kill me. Cherish these times my friend. You will always miss them.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Dutchy
posted Hide Post
Cool post!

Not easy for a small child to sit still for a few hours waiting and being still!

Can't wait for my two year old daughter to join me hunting.

well se already saw me shoot a goose with the .22Wm and saw the dog get it and giving it to me. She wanted to pet it.

But for her to join me hunting would be sweet. I'm having her initials engraved on my 12 bore sidelock, so who knows!? maybe one day it will be hers.

For the moment I am proud she tells her daycare mates and teachers that they are not feeding a duck but that it's a coot!

Posts: 7 | Location: Holland | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Dutchy keep it up!

here is a pic from this morning Trap shooting - not about breaking clay - more of a pose however did let her shoot a couple just to get a grip on recoil etc.

One of Us
Picture of Mr. G
posted Hide Post
Great post! Thanks for sharing Smiler

My 2,5 year dougther saw me shoot a couple of magpie from our bedroom window with my 22.LR a while ago. Now, every time she see me with a gun she says "I come with you hunting daddy" Smiler

Looking forward the years to come!!

Posts: 142 | Location: Norway, Telemark | Registered: 16 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldun:
Hi Mouse, Great photographs,you lucky old thing, days don't come much better than that.
Tell us, the rifle in the first picture, what is it and in what calibre?
Thanks.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Merkel 140E - No 553055 - 9,3x74R - you can see more here:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...711045731#7711045731

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck:
Mouse

It's great to see the kids involved. My son (3) is just getting to the point where he wants to go everywhere with me and is particularly intrigued in fishing and fishing rods. I was out with Trapper a couple of weeks ago and he called me while on my way home to see how we had done. The conversation was something like this when I got in:

L: Hi Daddy!! You got fishies?
Me: Yep
L: They big fishies daddy?
Me: Yep we got big fishies
L: Can I see fishies Daddy? can I?
Me: Yes they are in the sink

He wonders over to the sink with his chair, stands on it and looks into the bowl.

L: You silly daddy, they not big fishies, they lickle fishies!!

After 5 years I finally managed to get out drift fishing for plaice and a three year old brought me right back down to earth! !

Rgds,
K

Put you in your plaice you mean! lol but yes, he was mad keen to see your catch.

My son comes out occasionally for a bit of Rabbiting or a Roe but I let him drive it since he is young and has other interests.
I figure that like me, if he gets a little taste of it early on, he'll gravitate back to it later on in life.
There was an article on African Hunting in the Sunday Times magazine this W/E which touched on the topic of introducing youngsters to hunting which I found not too judgemental and quite interesting.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 574 | Location: UK | Registered: 13 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Adam.270
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trapper Dave:
My son comes out occasionally for a bit of Rabbiting or a Roe but I let him drive it since he is young and has other interests.
I figure that like me, if he gets a little taste of it early on, he'll gravitate back to it later on in life.
There was an article on African Hunting in the Sunday Times magazine this W/E which touched on the topic of introducing youngsters to hunting which I found not too judgemental and quite interesting.

Dave - long time, no see. How's life?

I saw the Sunday Times article yesterday and my youngest son remarked that if he'd been blooded like the kid in the picture after shooting his first deer, it probably would have put him off for life...the poor little bugger looked like he'd been dipped head-first into an elephant's jugular Eeker

Adam.

Posts: 186 | Location: UK | Registered: 04 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mouse,

Thanks for a great post; very touching and important.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Adam.270:
quote:
Originally posted by Trapper Dave:

Dave - long time, no see. How's life?

I saw the Sunday Times article yesterday and my youngest son remarked that if he'd been blooded like the kid in the picture after shooting his first deer, it probably would have put him off for life...the poor little bugger looked like he'd been dipped head-first into an elephant's jugular Eeker

Adam.

Hi Adam!
Yes I'm still out there knocking over the odd Munty, Roe, Rabbit or Fox but nothing remarkable since its more often wildlife management than anything that could be considered a trophy beast.
Yes the blooding was more of a bathing wasn't it?
I thought it looked as if it lacked the dignity and, dare I say it, spirituality of European rituals. There didn't seem to be any sense of respect for the kill. Perhaps because the whole process was so store-bought that the hunting and stalking element wasn't there.
I realise its difficult for a PH to get his client safely within range of the target animal and compromises have to be made.
FWIW, the bit of our last trip that I enjoyed most was the Bush hunt and although I never actually shot anything there I thoroughly enjoyed the hunt!

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 574 | Location: UK | Registered: 13 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Superb to see Mouse.

Nice video too.

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote