Find
Notify
Tools

Air France and rifle transport.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Leaving for RSA May 11.from Oslo via Paris for a forthnight in paradise Wink

Traveling with Air France, do any of you know for sertain if they request the bolt to be removed from the rifle and packed with the ammo in the checked in baggage?

Reason for asking is that this is the standard procedure flying domestic with guns in Norway ( a part of the gun to be removed making it not functional).

Last time we went with AF to South Africa, the Norwegian staff at Oslo Airport asked us to remove the bolt, but I have second thaughts if they really can ask that as we are leaving Norway, flying international?

Air France´s sites says nothing of the sort other than that ammo must not be packed with the rifle.

Loosing the bag and the ammo I can live with as I guess 338 Winmags are to be bought in RSA as well as some clothes and boots, but if the bolt is missing, then my rifle is only good for use as a jack handle...

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I flew with Air France in Febuary to Burkina Faso. We took the bolts out and they requested that the ammunition was not put in with the checked baggage, rather in a locked steel box, like the .50BMG ammo boxes.

There is no reason you can't put the bolt in your hand luggage. I've taken scopes and bolts with removable mounts on as hand luggage several times.

Hope that helps.

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have flown Air France with rifles twice (last year was the most recent trip), and on neither occasion have I been requested to remove the bolt from the rifle.

Ammo separate (but not separately locked), 5 kg max, and gun in a locked case. Standard IATA rules.

However, a lot will depend on who checks your luggage in Oslo. It is quite possible Air France will have an agreement with a local company (SAS, say) to do their check-ins for them in Oslo. Then all of a sudden you are dealing with people who may be used to different rules.... It is unlikely your gun will be checked between Oslo and your final destination, assuming you check your luggage straight through. So Oslo is really the turning point...

I have not experienced problems travelling with firearms on Air France. Charles DeGaulle airport in Paris was somewhat hectic, but my luggage made it through every time. Last time I travelled, an Air France employee demanded my rifle serial numbers when I pre-announced my rifles prior to the flight (several months in advance). But whether that was Air France procedure or just an over zealous employee, I don't know. I happened to have the serial numbers handy, so it was no big deal.

- mike

P.S. Here is what the Air France website (english version) has to say:

Air France, Dangerous Goods Page

quote:
Cartridges and hunting weapon ammunition:
These are authorized in the hold if correctly packaged in a rigid container.
Transportation of these items is subject to specific authorization, and an official agreement is necessary. You can obtain further details from your Air France agency or your travel agency.

Knives, firearms (without ammunition) and any other similar items
Only authorized for travel in the hold.
Transportation of these items is subject to specific authorization, and an official agreement is necessary. You can obtain further details from your Air France agency or your travel agency.

Not terribly specific... But no mention of bolt removal, or separately locked ammo.

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
To be honest, unless I could carry the bolt in my hand luggage, i would prefer it to stay with the rifle if at all possible.

Ammo and clothing can be replaced, but a bolt that goes missing because your ordinary hold luggage has been lost, is a disaster...

In theory, the airlines should treat your rifle case with a higher level of security/tracking ect than ordinary hold luggage, and there should be less chance of it going astray.

I believe some airlines now require rifles to be fitted with trigger locks; you might want to check if Air France has introduced this requirement or not...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for reply guys.
The people at the AF check in counter in Oslo are Air France employed Norwegians.
Eccellent service last time we went south, nice and friendly, but some fuss abouth the bolt removal.

Guess I´ll talk it over with them and leave the bolt in the rifle case, ref their own internet site.

Baggage will be checked right trough to Johannesburg.
Hopefully this will be a pice of cake dancing

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slightly OT but in the same area:

Beware when flying via Amsterdam/Netherlands, I've read that it is "very complicated" to carry firearms there, even if you are only transiting. In the Netherlands, the land of drugs and prostitution, the anti-hunting lobby is very strong, this is probably just a result of this.

Regards
Goran

Browning BAR II Safari .338WM
Sako Hunter .30-06
Remington 700 .222Rem
Ruger 10/22 .22LR
Blaser ES80 cal. 12/.222Rem
Browning B325 cal. 12

Posts: 81 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 10 May 2007Reply With Quote