Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 x 57- How Common in Europe?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
to My Euro Hunting Brethern:

How commonly used is the 6.5 x 57 on your side of the Pond?

Also if commonly used, What Kind of Actions or rifles do you see it available in?

What are the common Bullet weights Used?

What type of game is seen as the Upper Limits of the Cartridges Capabilities?

Would enjoy this prospective from Your Side of the World.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has definitely lost popularity in Germany. Many half-educated German hunters think that the cartridge is inherently inaccurate because of long freebore. This may be true, and may be not, it really depends upon the individual weapon and the load.

The 6,5 x 57 is hardly ever used in new guns here; people prefer the .30-06, the .308, the 8x57 IS (again), and in the 6,5mm range, the 6,5 x 55 and the 6,5 x 65 RWS. In France, the cartridge may still have some followers, due to legal reasons.

The old and nowadays extinct Portuguese 6,5 x 58 P is a better cartridge than the 6,5 x 57 IMHO, and indeed very accurate with its long round nose bullets. RWS loaded it for the civilian market at least up into the 1940s.

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
<martin f>
posted
One of the reasons for the 6.5x57 (and also the rimmed version) losing popularity in Germany may be the spreading of wild boar, in the last say 10 or 15 years.
It's legal for wild boar, but seen to be "on the light side".

Martin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, I still see an awful lot of them around - both rimmed and un-rimmed versions. I see a lot of them pop up on used gun-racks, they don't seem to be the best sellers, so maybe that is a premonition of things to come?? Nevertheless, there are an awful lot in use still. In Austria they are very popular with gamekeepers - often in break-top guns. In Germany the 6.5's were (and are) the smallest calibers allowed for Chamois, Red Deer and Boar - consequently they were quite popular. I doubt many people will describe them as "best" option for heavy game, but they'll certainly get the job done in a pinch.

The 6.5x57(R) always suffered from a bad press relating to a very long freebore. Most German cartridges have a long freebore, so if this is particularly noted on the 6.5x57(R)s, then surely it must be long! [Wink]

Bullet weights shot in 6.5x57(R) are often surprisingly (to me) low - 100grs and lower. All to get impressive ballistics - and giving the cartridge a bad rap as "destructive" along the way. If 140 grs bullets would be used (as is commonly done in the 6.5x55), surely this would be less of a problem.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
seafire

In Sweden they are not very common for a simple reason our dear 6,5X55. I have seen some Drillings in 6,5X57R but they are not seen so often.

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
In Belgium, the 6,5x57R seems to be making a comeback, mainly due to the success of the Blaser K95 single-shot for Roedeer. Also, 6,5mm is the minimum legal caliber for general big game hunting.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Gentlemen for the response.

Always love to get an international prospective.

The cartridge has worked well for me. I have not been able to down an elk with it yet, but I think it would be up to the task.

Johan, I like it because it is just a little different than the 6.5 x 55. However I have 3 of those, and one 6.5 x 57. I also made the 6.5 x 57 with a 28 inch heavy sporter barrel so it can still be carried field hunting although it is heavy for most people, I can also use it for 600 yd target competition and with smaller bullets can use it for long range varmints, just when I feel the need for a brief change shooting the Prairie Dogs in the western USA.

My swedish ones are a 1920s vintage Mauser, I rebarreled a beautiful laminated stocked winchester featherweight that was a 30/06 with a shot out barrel to the 6.5 x 55, but put a 26 inch barrel on it. It is light enough, but the barrel is long enough for long range shooting. It mainly gets 120 to 129 grain bullets.
The last is a factory Ruger, with a 22 inch barrel, and a 3 x 9 Leupold scope. I use it for 140 and occasionally 160 grainers.
I don't hunt with the Mauser, mainly because I can't see the sights very well. I need a scope, but I do not want to alter its original condition. However it is a very accurate rifle for a military one, and I love it. [Big Grin] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At least in Germany the 6,5x57 seems to be underrated, from my point of view it is as universal and mild as the .257 Roberts in the US.

Last year I bought a used Blaser K95 in the rimmed version of that caliber and am very, very happy with that gun. I use Noslers in 120 and 125 grain and cannot at all complain about lack of preciision. I did not shoot a big and representative amount of game but have killed several roe deer which were as dead and with less loss of meat than those killed with the 30/06. Also, my so far biggest boar with gutted 89 kgs dropped on a high chamber shot.

Our neighbours in Austria use to laugh about our "Magnumitis". There, the most popular calibers even for big stag are the .243 and the 6 mm Remington. It is all about bullet placement and shooting skills.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DUK:

Amen to the 6.5 and also, I agree with the Austrians a lot.

And with you, it is not what you carry, but where you put the bullet.

The largest deer I have shot in Oregon where I live, presented itself right after I had put my rifle away in the car. However I did have a 22 Mag to have quick access to.

I did a fast head shot between the eyes and it went down like a ton of bricks. The point is not advocating a 22 mag for deer hunting, but proves the point if shot placement is made where the round you have will do the best performance.
Range was about 100 yds, but a deer was a big target, when I had been shooting squirrels with the same rifle at 100 yds or more. [Big Grin] [Cool] [Roll Eyes]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DUK:
Our neighbours in Austria use to laugh about our "Magnumitis". There, the most popular calibers even for big stag are the .243 and the 6 mm Remington. It is all about bullet placement and shooting skills.

It all depends on the type of hunt. A 6,5 mm Carcano will reliably kill any (land) game on earth, d'accord.
But for a drive hunt with fast shots on moving game - and these increasingly dominate the German hunting reality - showing up with a mere 6,5 mm may get you chased away. With some justification.

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Carcano,

agreed. But then, a light single shot rifle with a 6x42 mm scope is not the right gun for that purpose either. For stalking or from the highstand for roe deer, I wouldn�t wish for a different gun.

Besides, when shooting cleanly into the boiler room, gutting after the kill is much less messy...

Regards, D.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"" In France, the cartridge may still have some followers, due to legal reasons.""
You are right, Carcano !

but a new kid on the block starts to get popular,
the 6.5x63 Messner magnum, designed by my friend Joseph M.
it has the speed and power of the 6.5x68 without the pressure level of the 68 mm ammo.
it starts to get produced in Germany and there has been a few rifles chambered for this ammo.
about 6.5 Messner ( and other calibers )
http://www.balistique-chasse.com/indexesmuni/indexmuni6,5x63mm.html

[ 06-12-2003, 02:50: Message edited by: Edmond ]

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote