New
Find
Notify
Tools

British made Snugpak gear
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm considering buying some British made Snugpak gear (Kestral 6 sleeping bag & Sleeka Original jacket) for backpack hunts in Australia and New Zealand. Apparently this gear is widely used by the UK armed forces and is supposed to be well proven in the field. I'd appreciate any comments from those who have used any Snugpak gear. Regards, Jim

Posts: 162 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 63
posted Hide Post
I have both the sleeping bags and the Softie jacket, and on the whole they are pretty good; the British Army currently issues a jacket and trousers set, and thats the jacket I have. I've used their Softie 3 sleeping bag for several years too.

Both items pack down pretty small in the stuffsacks provided, and are not heavy. The original jacket is not, IIRC, as headwearing as some of the later versions, like the Softie elite and the issue jacket, which have a tougher exterior, but are slightly heavier. As long as you don't make a habit of wearing it as you push through prickly bushes it should be ok though.

The main point is to avoid storing them in their stuffsacks for long periods (months), as they eventually lose their 'loft' and insulation.

Posts: 80 | Location: Chester | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of their jackets and have used it extensively here in British Columbia, hunting, hiking and so forth. It is a GOOD jacket, not quite up the the quality of Integral Designs of Calgary, AB., but, a sound product and worth owning.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have used one of their Sleeka -10C jackets for a number of years and have been very pleased with it..

IMHO, its not really meant as a true outer jacket, although it can be worn that way around camp ect, but the outer fabric is not really robust enough..

Where it really comes into its own is as a packable mid layer worn under a wind/water proof shell. I use it a lot during the winter when sitting in highseats and its very good. In our climate I find the Sleeka jacket is generally too warm if it is worn for anything more than light exercise.

An alternative, although of a different concept, is the Buffalo range of pile clothing..Another range of excellent high quality products which perform very well..

To wear while backpacking in cold weather, I'd look at the Buffalo pertex/pile "windshirt"..A brilliant bit of kit that allows good venting as required.

I should add that don't get too near a campfire in either a Snugpac or Buffalo garment as stray sparks go straight through the Pertex shells!

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good kit..i used it in all temperate climes.

You won't regret the purchase.

Posts: 157 | Location: Scotland at the mo. | Registered: 27 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gents for your thoughts. Based on the positive feedback, I think I will invest in a few pieces of Snugpak gear. The fact this gear relies on quality synthetic fill that will keep you warm even when wet, is much more appealing than using down filled kit.

I've got a decent Swazi made gortex rain jacket so the Sleeka jacket should work well in such a combination. THe sleeping bag should be just the ticket for my next trip into Fiordland in New Zealand, chasing wapiti. Given the constant rainfall and the need to travel light, Snugpak should fit the bill based on its reputation. Cheers, Jim

Posts: 162 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 63
posted Hide Post
quote:
An alternative, although of a different concept, is the Buffalo range of pile clothing..Another range of excellent high quality products which perform very well..

To wear while backpacking in cold weather, I'd look at the Buffalo pertex/pile "windshirt"..A brilliant bit of kit that allows good venting as required.

I should add that don't get too near a campfire in either a Snugpac or Buffalo garment as stray sparks go straight through the Pertex shells!

If you're looking at Buffalo stuff, the very similiar jacket made by Montane is well worth looking at to. Its not quite as packable as the Buffalo, but it is significantly more hardwearing, I have used mine almost daily and often under very tough conditions for the last 7 or so years, and it is still in good condition. Artemis liked it so much she made IanF buy her one. Wink

If you're in a job where people try and set you on fire, Arktis make a Buffalo type pile shirt that is fire retardent, it costs though. Eeker

Whilst Snugpak might be theoretically 'warm when wet' it isn't that great...there's still a lot to be said for keeping it dry!Big Grin

Posts: 80 | Location: Chester | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
'warm when wet'

That is the biggest fallacy going! While synthetics are normally warmER than a natural fiber when wet, they all loose a significant about of their insulating ability when sodden...

So yes, I totally agree that its best kept dry...

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Artemis.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 63:
Artemis liked it so much she made IanF buy her one. Wink

Hah... I should be so lucky! No, Artemis definitely had to buy her own Montane!!! Frowner
Think... IanF aka - Tight wallet! Wink

But yes, I can thoroughly recommend them!

Artemis.

Affordable Holiday Accommodation in Devon, UK - Self catering (with shooting if required) PM for details.

Posts: 88 | Location: Sunny Devon, UK | Registered: 07 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I totally agree that the best strategy is to keep your gear dry.

However, in a place like Fiordland where the annual rainfall is measured in metres, I'd prefer all the insulating advantage I can get. It is not uncommon to spent a week or more in a tent because of the constant rain, particularly on the coastal blocks.

Again, the idea of using synthetic fibre is to have an advantage (however slight) over natural fibres, in less than perfect conditions. When walking into remote areas, I find the challenge is to carry the lightest gear that will perform the best in the worst conditions. Cheers, Jim