New
Find
Notify
Tools

semi-auto shotguns and the law
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i know its not big game hunting, but since im just concerned with europe i posted it here.

*are there any countries who doesnt allow semi-auto shotguns?
*are there any countries who allow you to load the shotgun with more than 1+1 shells?

i'm just trying to decide what to go for, auto or o/u.

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
In the UK, you're limited to 1+2 in a semi-auto, unless you hold in on a Firearms Certificate, and then there is no magazine restriction...

There might be some additional also laws concerning the use of semi-auto's for certain types of bird shooting, but I am not 100% sure of those...

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
Irish laws allow for 1+2
Unfortunately the law does not prohibit vulgar guns !

Posts: 456 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, 1+2 here too. It must be an EU thing?
Plus our law says that the magazine MUST NOT fit more than 2 rounds in a semi-auto gun. This means that if you have a 5 shot mag, you have to modify it to fit only 2.

Posts: 94 | Location: North-Eastern Europe, Estonia | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIKA98K:
Irish laws allow for 1+2
Unfortunately the law does not prohibit vulgar guns !

Sika, that is quite funny, I like that.

I did own a S/A shotgun for a while. I could not get past the action cycling 4 inches from my face. I never liked it, and couldn't shoot it for shit.

I seem to remember that the law states that you may not fire more than 2 or 3 shots at a game bird? Does anyone know of this is the case?

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UK law states that you can not shot any bird with a shotgun that holds more than 3 rounds. but ground quarry (rabbits, foxs etc) can be shot with an unrestricted gun but you must have it listed on your FAC

Posts: 290 | Location: N.Ireland | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the only reason you can have a 5 shot+ semi auto shotgun if for vermin control or practical shotgun. So if you shoot game of any description with your 5 shot you are in breach of your FAC conditions.

regards
griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Griff, I seem to remember that going back before the 3 shot restriction (my S/A was a 4 shot) there was a specific clause that while the gun could hold more than 3 shots, it was illegal to fire more than 3 at one bird. Maybe this was a NI thing as we do not have "shotgun certs" - all firearms here are held on your FAC??

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 5 shot benneli fitted with a red dot type sight which is approved for the shooting of wild boar and deer with solid slugs here in the UK.
To buy slugs you must have a FAC

Posts: 37 | Location: Cumbria, England | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reiver,
does it say on your FAC that it is to be used for the humane despatch of deer or crop protection.
Your section 5 semi auto will have been granted for vermin or as I stated earlier practical shotgun.
If you can shoot game with your section 5 semi auto, then this is a must be new legislation..
The only reason I query this, is that our local butcher was prosecuted for shooting geese with a five shot semi-auto as it was only granted for the control of vermin and not game!
He was fined £800..

regards
griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nightwalker uk
posted Hide Post
Griff,

Does this still apply to canada geese now that they are off the "shoot in season only" category?

My 8 shot Bennelli can be used for shooting birds, a claus on my FAC.

Posts: 418 | Location: Derbyshire, England | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Griff
Conditon No.7 on my fac states
the 12bore gun serial number mxxxxxx shall be used for shooting birds in accordance with the purpouse and conditions of the general licence currently issued by the DEFRA under the provisions of the wildlife and country side act 1981.
Condition no.9 says
the .308 rifle serial number 012xxxxx and 12 bore gun serial no mxxxxx and slug ammunition shall be used for the shooting of wild boar,deer ,fox and vermin and zeroing on ranges or land over the holder has lawful authrity to shoot.
There is no mention of humane despatch of deer or crop protecion but i will have to follow the wild life and countryside act 1981 as stated .
The only geese that you can shoot with a 5 shot are canadas as and when they are clased as a pest or health haszard but only in England and maybe Wales ? But not Scotland i think it is to do with DEFRA so that is why your butcher was prosercuted for shooting the geease near you .

Bob.

Posts: 37 | Location: Cumbria, England | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Belgium, a semi-auto must be modified to a 2+1 setup if you want to hunt with it. A pumpaction can have as many rounds you want.

In Belgium, hunting small game often requires you to climb over or under barbed wire (between fields), jump across ditches, ... Emptying a double barreled rifle is much easier and faster and all hunters can easily sea the rifle is safe (open).

Proud DRSS member